High Tension Towers

<p>I am wondering what do you think of a house near or under a high tension towers and its effect on house values.
I am looking at a community with 1 acre lot size and 3000sqft+ very nice homes. A high tension tower/wire ran behind the community, for some houses, like the one I am looking at, it is at least 1000 ft away, for one or two houses on the edge of the community, they are directly under the wires and the towers. The towers are around 50~75 feet tall and they are the major power lines for the county/area. with high voltage </p>

<p>Your thoughts?</p>

<p>We have them in our subdivision and while I obviously did not rule out living in the subdivision I would not consider a house close to the wires. They emit an audible buzz when you walk under them which I find disconcerting. In a bad housing market they make a house adjacent to the wires very difficult to sell.</p>

<p>I would not even get out of the car to look at a house with nearby high tension wires/towers</p>

<p>Agree with gdogpa.</p>

<p>Listen closely. Do you hear them? Often times you can hear them hum. </p>

<p>I do know someone who bought a home like this and they had restrictions on landscaping. That would have bothered me. Especially since they did not find out about that until AFTER the home sale. When we visited them, we could hear the hum from the lines and we were inside. </p>

<p>It would be a deal breaker for me.</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy one near high tension lines. There are the noticeable buzzing noises, potential interference with radio signals around the house, unknown potential physical harm from the EMF from the lines that close, and the real possibility of fire in the even one of the lines breaks and falls to the ground. In addition, it's sight pollution.</p>

<p>If I wouldn't buy the house for this reason that means some others wouldn't either which limits the marketability and impacts the price (although you might be able to buy at a lower price because of it).</p>

<p>And it's not only the hum of high tension. Clean energy drives people nuts, too. </p>

<p>Noisy</a> Wind Turbines Attract Complaints - NYTimes.com</p>

<p>got that!:D</p>

<p>But how many feet/miles will make you more comfortable? The Towers are all over the place, if you look carefully, they do exist somewhere in the area. Its matter of distance. The house I am looking at with a 1000 ft distance you cannot hear the humming or the buzzing, but it is visible from the backyard.</p>

<p>I am looking at a community with 1 acre lot size and 3000sqft+ very nice homes. A high tension tower/wire ran behind the community, for some houses, like the one I am looking at, it is at least 1000 ft away, for one or two houses on the edge of the community, they are directly under the wires and the towers. The towers are around 50~75 feet tall and they are the major power lines for the county/area. with high voltage </p>

<p>is this an all new development somewhere? or is it around here [ SF Peninsula?]</p>

<p>^^mpm, you know this won't happen in mp, right? If it is LAH, we are talking maybe 5 mil? No, it is not on Peninsula but it is in the bay area....:)</p>

<p>The towers look grand
The used to be 70 ft wooden H towers carrying 75kv, now the towers are steel,100ft tall and 100/150kv.</p>

<p>the peaches trees(farm) along the lines tasted grand as did the cherries and prunes .they also rotted just as fast as nonemf fruit.</p>

<p>My cousin has a lives along powerlines. 30 years. There are fine and raised 3Ds there.</p>

<p>Still an issue, take it up Pres. Reagan's people, whom we based our purchasing decision for the farm for future developement house plantings.</p>

<p>I just looked on Google Earth and the nearest high tension wires are 3,000 feet away - you're right, they are around somewhere. 3,000 feet is fine with me. They are surrounded by trees and I can't see anywhere near them and I'd guess that EMF attenuates with the cube of distance. I'd have to see 1,000 feet to see if it would bother me.</p>

<p>The hum would definitely bother me and any EMF interference with equipment would.</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy a place closer that 1,000 feet.</p>

<p>Our BPA lines are 100 ft to poles,? 100 ft high. Hypoteneuse = sq rt of the sum of squares of the legs. Eggads, 141 ft away from the lines</p>

<p>Explains a lot about me, doesn't it?</p>

<p>Our house is about 1000 feet from the power line and that has never been a problem. MIL/FIL's house is probably about 450 feet from the nearest one and it's not a problem there either. I would not buy on the opposite side of the street next to them, because the towers are literally in their back yards. I would measure on Google just to make sure, op. The other question is how visible are they from the house.</p>

<p>ETA: The electric field is a 1/r^2 relationship?</p>

<p>I don't like the sound of high voltage lines, nor do I like the look of the towers (my mother called them "headless giants"). However, I don't think there's a lot of evidence that they are dangerous to your health (as long as they don't fall on you in an earthquake). </p>

<p>That said, I wouldn't buy a house that appeared to be close to high voltage lines, or where the only approach to the house took you under nearby lines: people are weird about them, and it takes such small things to turn buyers off. For example--you're asking what we think!</p>

<p>In a very bad real estate market,why buy a house with an issue?... I'd bet the potential buyers are reduced by at least 50% with the high tension wires,towers...not worth the risk..</p>

<p>The high tension towers near the house you are considering buying are ok with me, I can't see them from my house! Remember too the electric company could replace the existing towers in the easement with even bigger and uglier towers, or erect another set of towers and make things even worse. House right next to the towers might be best suited for marijuana grow houses where homeowner could run jumper cables from towers to a/c units and lighting for dope plants.</p>

<p>One side of the subdivision that I live in is right up against a huge set of high tension lines. I have no concerns about health effects, but I know that many people do. I would not buy one of those houses because of possible difficulties with selling it later on.</p>

<p>When I was selling my mom's house, one couple saw the house and were very interested, until they discovered that there were high tension wires just over half a mile away. They said that was a deal breaker, because they were planning to start a family.</p>

<p>I think their concerns were way over the top, but it was evidence that these things do concern potential buyers.</p>

<p>Half-a-mile?</p>

<p>Maybe that was just an excuse for something else.</p>

<p>You'd probably get more radiation from your cordless phones, cell phones and wireless router.</p>