Hilarious things you have had to try to give instructions for over the phone

<p>I constantly call my mom (in hs but also in college) for how to get un-lost. She got me a GPS (hint?) but it’s not supposed to stay in the car so I always forget it… and then get lost and call her again. I need to get her a good mother’s day present next year…</p>

<p>I am SO glad to know that I’m not the only one who can’t figure out her own entertainment system! </p>

<p>We have 6 remotes, but at least I do know how to watch TV. My problem comes when I try to get to Netflix, which we do thru our AppleTV. Once I was furious that I couldn’t get AppleTV to work and went online to find out what I was doing wrong, only to find out that the AppleTV probably needed to be rebooted so it wasn’t my fault at all. </p>

<p>The funniest thing is when we turn on the AppleTV, it takes over my daughter’s Mac laptop. No matter what she’s using her laptop for, if it’s in the same room with the TV her iTunes turns on and plays “Enter Sandman” at the loudest possible volume. It’s even more ironic because we set the AppleTV up using MY Mac laptop, but it doesn’t bother my laptop at all.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Why can’t you leave it in the glove compartment or in the armrest? That’s where I keep mine.</p>

<p>^^ The usual reason is to avoid theft.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If it’s in the glove compartment or the center console (in other words, can’t be seen!) then it really is not going to be a problem.</p>

<p>hops, I always kept mine in my center console where it couldn’t be seen. Someone smashed my car window rifled through everything in my car and stole it anyway. Bought a case for my new one and it never gets left in a vehicle without me.</p>

<p>Love this thread too!</p>

<p>My favorite was when my D called me from overseas, 8,000 miles away, two weeks into a month-long youth trip, to ask where I’d packed her hiking sneakers. Note that her luggage consisted of a single duffle bag. I had to remember the configuration to suggest which zippered compartment(s) she might not have encountered or opened.</p>

<p>Glad I must live in a “super safe” area because I routinely leave multiple pairs of $100+ sunglasses sitting in my truck in open view. My GPS is actually the least of my worries, but yet I keep it hidden. If they really want it, I’m going to have to deal with more issues anyway…</p>

<p>I live in a “super safe” area too. The problem is when people who aren’t from your “super safe” area come and “vist” your “super safe” area. Leaving stuff like that out in plain sight is just plain dumb. No offense, I just don’t want to see you get robbed. Cost me $100 deductible for a new window and the money for a new GPS. Funny thing was that GPS was about 3 years old with unupdated maps. They could have stolen my stereo system which is much more valuable but apprently they weren’t in the market for that.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well the sunglasses are kept under the visor so I guess they’re not in “open view” but not exactly hidden either. Never been a problem even in St. Louis (which is the 3rd most dangerous city in the country!). The GPS is hidden… yeah not going to leave things out for someone to break in.</p>

<p>But as you pointed out, if they want to break in, they will regardless of whether you have something or not.</p>

<p>they rifled through my insurance cards in my dash, dumped change out of my ashtray compartment, everthing. I live in a nice, quiet area too. My neighbors are all like 80, literally.</p>

<p>My brother called home from college with a question about how to measure the stick butter. He needed two tablespoons, so I told him to just cut where it says two. He tells me that there are no numbers or measuuring lines on his stick of butter. So I’m thinking “Where did he buy that butter”? I later figured out the problem. He had taken the wrapper off of the butter and was looking directly on the butter for the measurements.</p>

<p>sand, love it!!</p>

<p>Until Iphone made its phone tracking service free, we’d get the periodic “can you turn on the AT&T family maps plan and find my phone” call…</p>

<p>“To whomever asked about directions, my BF taught me that you can text google (whatever the numbers are for that combination of letters. All you need to put is “directions from” then whatever address you are at then “to” whatever address you want to be at. It will send you back detailed turn by turn directions to your phone.”</p>

<p>This is so interesting and useful Fendergirl - particularly for people who don’t have smartphones. I sent the tip to my Ds and was able to impress one of them with my technical know-how. The other one wrote back to tell me that you can use the same system as an alternative to dialing 411. Just send a message with a name and city and it sends one back with the address and phone number.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh thanks. I’ll look into it. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hmmm, now that you mention it, I have started to refer to text phone contacts from my children as “calls”. Yes, the advice in a public place requests are by text not voice contact.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That small keypad makes calls? Like you can actually hear someone’s voice from the other end?!?! What?</p>

<p>Daughter was driving her car in a different state. She calls from a gas station. “How do I pump the gas?” We live in one of the few states (Oregon) where you can’t pump your own and she’d never done it before.</p>

<p>1.D was in NY. Called me in California to find out where to catch the Chinatown bus back to Boston and to give her directions to the location.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Other D was in Los Angeles and called me saying “I’m on the I-10, how do I get home?” Didn’t know which direction she was driving, or where she was on the 10. By asking her the names of exits she was passing, I was able to figure it out and get her home. (This was before I-phones/ GPS etc.)</p></li>
<li><p>S had a surprise interview and called to get directions to iron his shirt. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>I remember when I was in college, I was only allowed to call home once a week under normal circumstances because it was expensive. I am not sure that cell phones are helping our children become independent adults. On the other hand, it’s nice to talk to them every single day…</p>