As we wind down 2021, we’re also winding down College Confidential’s 20th anniversary year. That’s right - CC was created two decades ago as a resource for college-bound students and their families. The site has changed quite a bit over time, and so has college admissions.
20 years ago:
- There were about 14 million students enrolled in college
- Harvard tuition cost $13,960 a year (compared to $51, 143 per year now)
- The most popular majors were business, social sciences/ history, education, engineering, and foreign language, literature and linguistics
- There are roughly 17 million college students
- Harvard tuition costs $51,143 per year
- The most popular majors are business, health professions, social sciences/ history, engineering, and biological/biomedical sciences
A lot has changed over the years - But one thing has stood the test of time: our vibrant community. We are thankful for everyone who has brought their questions, shared their stats or knowledge, and used CC to give or get support researching and applying to colleges.
We’d love to hear from you what you love about CC - now and over the years. Did this community change your college trajectory? Have you met people who have become part of your life? Did you log on when you or your child was applying to college, and then love it so much you’re still here? Is there a thread you’ve been following for months, or ever years?
Share your favorite CC stories and shout-outs below, and we’ll pick ten responders at random to receive a little 20th anniversary thank you from College Confidential.
Thank you all for being part of this community. Wishing everyone a very happy new year!