Homeschoolers Thread

<p>So - who here is homeschooled? What are you all taking via courses and why were you homeschooled?</p>

<p>I've just started homeschooling this year, after coming from Chapin School, then Hunter College High School in NYC. (I moved to Rome this year, 8th grade, due to my mother's job, but the schools were horrible and easy. I thought I'd get more of a challenge if I skipped grades, and I did the first semester there as a high school sophomore, but the added challenge was still not enough and the quality of the school itself was just terrible. You know a school is bad when "Discipline Committee" is listed proudly as one of its five or so extracurriculars.)</p>

<p>I'm going to Phillips Exeter next year! I like homeschooling, but nothing makes up for what I used to have at Chapin and Hunter - interesting kids, fabulous conversations, and a real passion for learning. Exeter seems like that on an even bigger scale!</p>

<p>Anyhow, I'm taking:</p>

<p>AP Physics (through Stanford's EPGY program.)
Crafting the Essay (through JHU-CTY program)
College Algebra (really more Precalculus than anything. Also through CTY)
AP French Language (on my own.)
Honors Latin II Poetry (with my AMAZING Latin tutor who is just the most brilliant person ever. We're reading Catullus now, just finished Horace.)</p>

<p>I do wish I could find a good distance history program. I love history...</p>

<p>I'm homeschooled, mainly because the high schools in my area are a poor fit socially and academically. I'm in 10th grade now, and I've been homeschooling for two years. I'm a little embarassed to list the courses I'm taking, since I'm two years older than I assume you are, and you're far more advanced in you studies than I am :-) but... here goes:</p>

<p>Poetry and Drama (self-study)
AP European History (self-study)
French II (taught by my mom, a former French major)
History of the English Language (series of lectures recorded by a professor at Stanford)
Latin I (self-study)
Chemistry (self-study)
Geometry (self-study)
Independent Creative Writing (I'm working on a novel; I also write short stories and poetry)</p>

<p>Your courseload is very impressive (much more impressive than mine is!) - it's easy to see why you'd have difficulty finding a challenge. I'm sorry about your experience in Rome (was Discipline Committee really an extracurricular?);
I'm sure you'll like Exeter much better.</p>

<p>I know what you mean about good distance history programs; they're nonexistant, as far as I can tell. There are a couple that I know of that offer AP history courses (Apex, Northwestern CTD) - have you looked into either of those options? Also, the publisher that sells the linguistics lectures I'm using also carries history lectures, though the lecture sets aren't distance courses, of course. (The professors do suggest textbooks and writing assignments, however, which is helpful.) </p>

<p>Anyway, enjoy the remainder of your homeschooling. Good luck at Exeter!</p>

<p>You know there is an entire forum for this, right? No problem with this thread, I just thought you'd like to know if you don't already.</p>

<p>I'm not advanced - I'm ahead in languages 'cause I move around a lot and am familiar with French and Italian, making taking French and Latin go very quickly. As for Math, I only just finished Geometry.</p>

<p>Creative writing? That's awesome. As is your History of the English Language. Etymology rocks my socks. Your courses seem, at least, more interesting to take than mine.</p>

<p>How are you taking AP Physics when you've just finished geometry?</p>

<p>AP Physics requires calculus, right?</p>

<p>No, not AP Physics B.
My requirement was concurrency with Algebra II/Precal, which I'm taking now.</p>

<p>Ohh..I didn't know EPGY had physics B...</p>

<p>They do. It's the only one without a prereq, and allows for people entirely new to physics to make it to the exam by the end of the session. (C requires a year of introductory physics)</p>

<p>ohh ic.</p>

<p>I want to take physics through EPGY next year as well. I've only tried their math courses.</p>