Honors Program worth it?

<p>I'm attending Tulane in the fall and I'm considering applying for the Honors program, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. As my screen name suggest, I will be pursuing a commission in the United States Marine Corps upon graduation through the NROTC program. I plan on getting a graduate degree sometime either during of after my career in the Marine Corps. How much of a difference does it make to graduate Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude as opposed to just Cum Laude? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Hmmm, this is a tough question to ask others, especially in your case. If you were looking for a job straight out of school, I would say that graduating with Latin Honors makes your resume stand out a little more. Not a huge deal, but in any economic environment, and especially this one, having an edge is good. Since you will be in the military for at least 4 years (that is still how it works, right?), it will make less difference for you. I would say it is more of a point of personal pride.</p>

<p>Getting into the Honors Program after starting at Tulane (in other words not invited in as a freshman based on high school record), requires that you get at least a 3.6 after freshman year. Graduating Summa requires a 3.8+, Magna a 3.6-3.79. Each one requires a thesis, as well as completing the Honors Program which requires at least one honors course a semester. Cum Laude, for those that are not familiar with these terms, requires a 3.4-3.59, and does not require a thesis or the honors courses. So getting the grades is rather irrespective of being in the Honors Program, you either get the required grades or you don't.</p>

<p>I would say since you have to get the grades first and apply to get in, get the 3.6 and then decide if you have the time and desire to pursue it. You will know a lot more after a year in school.</p>

<p>Marine4Life, definitely go for Latin Honors if you can. However, I believe that the GPA is more important than obtaining Latin Honors as each university has different Latin Honor requirements. There might be some schools that don't even require writing a thesis to get magna or summa as long as one gets a cumulative 3.6+ or 3.8+ GPA, respectively.</p>