Yes, I read that it will take 6 months but the 3 boys and coach will get Thai citizenship though they were stateless.
I mostly trust what I read from the UK and Australian divers as accurate as they have no particular motive.
The consensus among the divers reports was that the rescuees were medicated so they were limp, like rag dolls and couldn’t panic and endanger themselves or others. They were hooked to divers via harness and also carried via skeds at various points of the evacuation effort.
One of the UK rescuers who found the boys said in rescue missions, they always smell all air pockets, then shout, then shine their light. The boys were smelled by John and Rick of the UK before they were even seen.
I was shaking my head all day yesterday. The word has gone mad. Where is civility?! OK, the diver was over the line, but a prominent CEO should know how to keep his cool.
Yes, very sad that Musk stoops to ugly name-calling because the UK diver was dismissive of his mini-sub. It’s in lots of the UK and international press.
Apparently, the kids decided that the boys who lived furthest away from the cave needed to get out first to spread the word that the others will be coming soon so food can be prepared for them!
That’s excellent and democratic that coach Ek asked the boys to indicate a which wished to be rescued first and that they ended up choosing who would leave in a wholly different manner than the media reports. There certainly is a logic in choosing the boys who lived furthest away. It’s wonderful that they bonded so well with the Seals.
I was going to post that BI article, it’s a cute story but I find it so confusing! They really didn’t know that extent of how many people were helping/watching them? No one told them at any point, if not just to increase their morale, that the whole world was cheering them on, or even all the manpower working to help them? And no one told them the plan that they would be transported to the hospital when they exited the cave (rather than ride their bikes home?). It’s not a huge deal, it’s a sweet thing, but I don’t understand how the coach and boys thought that this was the scenario, and also that no one corrected them.
@rebeccar Just a guess – but perhaps they were trying to keep things as calm as possible for the boys and the coach in the cave. Talk of them going to a hospital or letting them know just how intricate and involved the rescue effort was may have made them more anxious.
That’s true, I can definitely see that with the scope of the rescue effort. It just sounds like they went over the plan so much with them, practicing, getting them emotionally and physically prepared for it, but the end of it was a total question mark? Not that the rescuers needed to say “you all barely avoided death’s clutches!” or “we need to make sure you didn’t contract some obscure fatal cave disease!” but a casual “we’re going to do some checks at the doctor to make sure you guys are healthy and strong before you head back home” seems more normal than having them think they’d be literally riding their bikes home to inform their parents and authorities that they’re ok. Again, not a big deal, it’s just very surprising to me.
The boys were very young and I think they hadn’t had much experience with MDs, since some had no recorded weights since 5 years prior (or they don’t weigh folks like they do in the US at every visit).
I think coach Ek was a bit naive as well, since he was an orphan and then a monk for 10 years, he may not have had any idea that folks rescued from 9 days without food would normally get checked out by doctors. They may have also had slightly muddled thinking from their many days in the cave.
I still think it was charming that they didn’t want to be separated from one another or the Seals. I really don’t think they had any appreciation for the danger or riskiness of the rescue—didn’t know what they didn’t know. The fact that Saman died helping in the resupply/rescue effort was likely a great surprise and shock to them.
I love the modesty and quiet competence of these cave divers. They really are great ambassadors for their countries and wonderful, thoughtful role models.
Like ER physicians these are people who have learned to expect the unexpected, trust their training, and never, ever panic. I too love the fact that there has been very little braggadocio coming from the rescuers.