Hotel experience and a rec from a top exec.- how much will it help?

<p>Over the past two years I have worked at two full service Marriott's in my area. First I worked as a Guest Service Aide (bellhop) and more recently I transferred to a nicer property where I work as a Guest Service Representative (Front Desk doing check-in/out and hotel administration stuff). I work one day a week (8.5 hours) during the school year, and full time during the summer. I am sure I can get great recommendations from my front desk manager and hotel GM, but more importantly I have access to top Marriott executives (stepmom works for corporate). By top I mean i could almost definitely get a rec from a top Vice President at the company and I have met Mr. Marriott (but probably couldn't access him).</p>

<p>So my question is how much will 1) my work experience and 2) my recommendations help my chances of admission to Cornell Hotel School?</p>

<p>Well that is all certainly great, but it won't get u in without having a good resume behind it (just saying this because it is weird that u are asking wat ur chances are of getting into a school without posting ur stats...lol). But anyways, gl.</p>

<p>I didn't really mean for this to be a chances thread. I was more wondering relatively how much influence the experience and rec could have. But since it came up heres an abridged version of my stats:</p>

<p>3.8 UW gpa, Very hard classes (IB diploma candidate), strong ECs (tons of community service, very committed to one sport, and significant work experience), cum SAT is 1840 (low i know! but i should raise it significantly in October), no sat subject tests yet, should have outstanding teacher and GC recs.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response</p>

<p>I think that's pretty impressive, and will definitely help you.</p>

<p>Then yes. Sorry I musta been busy when I wrote that cuz I donno y I wrote that lol. But the stats do help...if you can raise ur SATs I'd say you have a pretty good chance.</p>

<p>Generally, unless the top exec knows you personally and can write about you from personal knowledge, your qualifications and your performance on the job, you may well be better off with a fantastic and personal recommendation from someone with whom you work directly.</p>

<p>I'm so jealous of your work experience. =] Good luck!</p>

<p>I don't think that will help you that much, honestly. Unless of course, the recommendation is really great.</p>

<p>it will help without a doubt</p>

<p>I agree with sallyawp. A recommendation from a top exec who doesn't really know you just shows that you're well-connected. A good letter from your direct manager shows that you know something about hotels. I hope that Cornell would be more impressed by the latter.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replys!</p>

<p>I agree, I would also hope that Cornell would care more about the rec from a direct manager but in this world full of bureacratic BS I have my doubts.</p>

<p>Seems like there are a lot of conflicting opinions on this but i really aprreciate everyones insight and hope more people will share how they feel so i can choose the best route.</p>

<p>Also, on a similar note, how many additional recs is it okay to send? I mean recs from people like bosses, coaches, volunteer coordinators (those other than teachers and counselors)? I'm sure I oculd get some other great recs from those people, but I really dont know, how many is too many?</p>