<p>Yes I know I’m ridiculously sheltered, but the few times my parents went somewhere (for more than a day I mean) without bringing me along I have always stayed with relatives. Well now I have finally convinced them to just let me stay at home with the car, and since I am getting insurance as well this means I can go to places on my own.</p>
<p>Problem is I haven’t practice driving all year due to college out-of-state, I’m not that great a driver to begin with, and since my parents have pretty much been driving me all my life I barely know my own area! I am afraid of getting into an accident, but I do not wanna waste this opportunity to drive on my own and frankly enjoy my freedom to see friends and family whenever I want.</p>
<p>Any tips for how to avoid anxiety? Or an accident? Or just some comforting words? I hope some people won’t just comment to yell at me for not paying for my own insurance and car; my luck with jobs has somewhat been bad but I guess I’ve also never felt the need to get those things either since I don’t go to places very often.</p>
<p>^I second this. I get absolutely terrified, and seem to get tunnel vision, when I get behind the wheel. My cousin’s the same but she swear it gets better with more practice</p>
<p>Why don’t you start with some simple trips? Set a goal. Drive to the grocery and buy food for dinner, drive home. Drive to the movie theater – see a matinee if you don’t want to drive at night – and drive home. Try baby steps.</p>
<p>Of course, I am thinking about my own area where these things are maybe five miles away of rural road. It’s possible that in your situation they are five miles away in crazy traffic. </p>
<p>If it’s that scary to you, maybe a few sessions with a driving instructor to build your confidence?</p>
<p>And see, for me, when I was first teaching my kids to drive, I almost always took them out at night - MUCH less traffic on the road, and those who are on the road are much less likely to be in a hurry to get somewhere (an appt., meeting, etc.), so less likely to be tailgaiting, passing, etc. The driver doesn’t feel the same amount of anxiety when there are less cars on the road.</p>
<p>teriwtt - I agree that it was better to drive at night when I was teaching older DD to drive. DD is a very good driver and has been all over SoCal which is not easy driving. I think that since she started driving and has been going to rehearsals that are in different parts of the city she has gained a lot of experience which her peers have not. Many of DDs friends only drive to school or the mall/movies which is about a 5 mile round trip. </p>
<p>The best way to get better at driving is to set goals and practice. Make sure you have good directions and know where you are going. Have fun being on your own!</p>
<p>I agree with cnp55 - start by doing short drives on non-busy roads if you can. After a few trips to the grocery or even around the block a few times you can venture a bit further. Your confidence will naturally improve and so will your skills. The most important thing in driving is to be aware of what’s going on around you so skip the distractions, including the radio and turn off your cell phone before you start the drive. </p>
<p>I think you’re better off driving during the daytime when visibility is much greater. You can usually just avoid heavy traffic areas to start.</p>
<p>Well, I think you are already a somewhat safe driver since you recognize some “inadequacies”! Like everyone says, practice will help, start out small. My daughter is in a similar situation, as she has no car when she’s at school, so when she comes home it is almost like starting all over
I try to make it easier for her by writing REALLY simple directions (my husband thinks I over do it, but I know she has no clue what direction she’s going in!!!) I would suggest also learning to read maps (or google maps, or anything) to familiarize yourself with where things are, so you won’t get nervous if you make wrong turns or whatever. I can’t seem to get my daughter to do that; she got an internship in DC for awhile, so i let her use the GPS for that. But i think it helps to have a map in your head, to orient yourself.</p>
<p>Take your time and don’t let other, impatient drivers make you feel rushed. Also, think in advance about where you can park. An uncrowded lot is much easier to deal with than on street parallel parking when you don’t have a lot of practice.</p>