How are Transferable Courses Determined?

<p>I went to University in another state (Alaska) fresh out of high school and did not do well. I eventually dropped out and went to work in software engineering for some time with the latter 5 years in CA. Now, 8 years later, I am looking to go back to school for an eventual PhD in Synthetic Biology or Synthetic Genomics (not sure which yet).</p>

<p>My GPA from University 8 years ago is very low so I figured I would start out by going to a community college for 2 years to both prove academic worth and knock out the general education requirements and then transfer to UC Berkeley (they are currently one of the pioneers in synthetic biology and one of the few Universities in the world to offer a PhD program in it).</p>

<p>The problem is that the UC Berkeley College of Engineering (Bioengineering) has a cap of 89 transferable units if you have attended a 4-year institution at any time in the past. If I complete the required 51 credits at a CC (as listed on assist.org) and combine that with my 90 credits from 8 years ago I am far over that limit. So, my question becomes what is the process to determine whether or not a class is transferable when it comes to that transferable unit cap?</p>

<p>Out of all of the courses I took 8 years ago, only 3-4 are part of the bioengineering program and the rest are either unrelated engineering classes (software engineering) or exploratory classes (i.e.: classes that I took to try and figure out what I liked). I have some Ds and Fs as well as lots of Ws, Is, repeats and physical education pass/fail courses.</p>

<p>Will all 90 credits transfer over, regardless of the course content, grade, pass/fail, etc.?</p>

<p>What happens if I take a class at a community college that articulates to the same course as I took 8 years ago? Do both count toward my transferable units and put me over the cap?</p>

<p>Does anyone here have <em>personal</em> (not a friend of a friend) experience with transferring to UC Berkeley College of Engineering with more than 89 credits and attendance at a 4-year institution? I understand that the different colleges handle the unit cap differently so only college of engineering people are applicable here.</p>

<p>Does anyone here have experience with the transfer process from an out-of-state 4-year institution to UC Berkeley?</p>