How are women "oppressed" by men?

<p>I might understand how in the 1800s women may talk about oppression by men. But in the 21st century America, I don't see how women can legitmately complain about oppression. </p>

<p>I hate how every thread about relationship, the female body, and even autism... ends up talking about feminism. Unless there's clear and unbiased evidence of such "oppression", I think we should stop making senseless arugments.</p>

<p>Ok, I started that thread to see if all men really prefer women hairless. I expected that mostly guys and the occasional lesbo would respond and say their preference, and it was kind of a boring topic, something we all do in the morning but don't think too much about, like clipping our nails. I didn't know it would quickly jump to 10 pages with angry women burning their bras and such. </p>

<p>Women are oppressed by men, and men are oppressed by women. Oppress is defined as "to burden spiritually or mentally : weigh heavily upon". Well, I can tell you women have been oppressing men for years. Men are big animals primarily motivated by sex and food and fairly easy to manipulate. Women are easier to physically dominate and for that reason have been oppressed more in history. </p>

<p>In some parts of the world, women are still being oppressed to an extreme. Here in America, sure there's some oppression, but we have it pretty good.</p>

<p>there is still quite a bit of legitimate "oppression" of women.</p>

<p>much of the rest, unfortunately, are exaggerated, misguided claims used for selfish reasons and which make legitimate claims of oppression seem like baseless b*tching.</p>

<p>I'd like to add that just because women in America have it much better than women in, say, the Middle East, does not mean that the battle for equality is over. We've still got a ways to travel on BOTH ends.</p>

<p>Most poor women are oppressed!
they are more likely to suffer from physical abuse by men around them.</p>

<p>Women (and men) are oppressed by the prejudice against them. Also, it's important to remember that not all oppression is intended as such, and that being prejudiced does not automatically mean you're an evil person, because everybody has certain prejudices.</p>

<p>There is definitely still gender inequality in the US. Women still make about 75 cents to every dollar made by men, and are more likely to live in poverty. Also, there is the case of women who are expected to not only take on the role of working out of economic necessity, but are relegated to work "the second shift," that is, taking care of the children and other domestic tasks after coming home from work. Feminists definitely aren't yet obsolete.</p>

<p>women are losing jobs at a much slower rate than men during the current economic downturn.</p>

<p>it's not just money, there's a ****load of double standards like </p>

<p>-if a guy sleeps with a lot of women he's a player, if a woman sleeps with a lot of guys she's a slut
-men in power are never referred to as "*****es" women are all the time
-likewise manipulative men are respected, manipulative women are not, most ceos are men
-women have to learn to "take a joke" and deal with sexist jokes, men do not
-women's sports get almost no media coverage. yes, men are better at sports as a whole, but pros are better than college athletes who sometimes get almost equal coverage to pros.</p>

<p>American women are oppressed to men to an extent, but for the most part they oppress themselves. Girls that dress slutty or giggle or pretend to be dumb on purpose so that boys will like them are perpetuating the idea to other girls that you'll only be acceptable if you're dumb, and to boys that this is how girls should act, leaving girls that are outspoken or cynical unloveable. </p>

<p>My two cents. : )</p>

<p>I don't think it's specifically men, but society. Women oppress other women too, and men oppress other men. Yes, that's right . . . men are also oppressed. God help the man who takes an interest in something "unmanly" like nursing, sewing, or ballet . . . because that makes them GAY, M I RITE??? Man, don't do anything that women stereotypically used to do, obviously those activities are covered with girl cooties. Boys are "trained" not to show emotional weakness (crying, for example) because . . . GAY, M I RITE??? Little girls can play with trucks, but little boys cannot play with dolls, which is odd given that we now expect men to be active participants in child-rearing. (Then there are men who actually ARE gay who get hit with a double-dose of stereotypes. Interestingly, in the 1700s/1800s the stereotype wasn't "gay men are effeminate" but rather "womanizers are effeminate" . . . the idea being that sleeping with SO MANY WOMEN somehow rubbed off and made the womanizer more fashionable, dapper, and, of course, even MORE attractive to women.)</p>

<p>Society seems to have a real fear of men who step outside the expectations boxing them in. A woman who faces prejudice to excel in traditionally male-dominated fields like engineering or science are often portrayed as heroes, but men who excel at anything seen as "girly" are looked at as freaks. It's stupid.</p>

<p>1 in 3 American women will be raped, that is oppression right there.</p>

<p>
[quote]
God help the man who takes an interest in something "unmanly" like nursing, sewing, or ballet . . . because that makes them GAY, M I RITE??? Man, don't do anything that women stereotypically used to do, obviously those activities are covered with girl cooties. Boys are "trained" not to show emotional weakness (crying, for example) because . . . GAY, M I RITE??? Little girls can play with trucks, but little boys cannot play with dolls, which is odd given that we now expect men to be active participants in child-rearing.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Here's the thing--this is a false parallel. These examples aren't signs that men are oppressed just like women are, they just prove that masculinity is favored over femininity in our society. Girls don't get offended when they're called "tomboys." This is because it's not a NEGATIVE thing to have traditionally masculine traits. However, would you ever walk up to a group of men and say "Hey girls!" (as opposed to "Hey guys")? They'd be pretty offended if you did. The same goes for calling men "sissies." That's a whole lot worse than female tomboys because no one is supposed to want to be a woman. It's understandable, though, to want to be a man.</p>

<p>Also, the reason men are discouraged from traditionally female careers like nursing, elementary school teaching, etc. is because they're expected to do BETTER. Women are expected to fill these lower-paid and less prestigious jobs, while men in them are seen as weak because they're not maximizing their potential.</p>

<p>Go take a womens studies course. Real eye-opener there</p>

<p>I don't think people think male nurses, ballet dancers, or designers are portrayed as gay.
I mean, does anyone actually think the male dancers on So You Think You Can Dance are gay? They get tons of female fans.
Men in female-dominated fields are actually preferred. Male accountants find jobs easier because accounting used to have a more feminine undertone so now there's a lack of men in the profession.</p>

<p>Girls think men who show emotions are sensitive. You wouldn't want a girl to be weeping all over you either, would you?</p>

<p>
[quote]
-if a guy sleeps with a lot of women he's a player, if a woman sleeps with a lot of guys she's a slut
-men in power are never referred to as "****es" women are all the time
-likewise manipulative men are respected, manipulative women are not, most ceos are men
-women have to learn to "take a joke" and deal with sexist jokes, men do not
-
women's sports get almost no media coverage. yes, men are better at sports as a whole, but pros are better than college athletes who sometimes get almost equal coverage to pros.*

[/quote]
</p>

<p>lol. maria sharapova got beat 6-0 6-0 by a men's college player. serena williams got mauled by a 50 year old john mcenroe. Women's pro sports is a joke. You have no argument there.</p>

<p>women need to stop complaining. Men get absolutely raped in court with custody battles, false accusations, etc. Women have sex with their students and get a slap on the wrist.</p>

<p>that said, I do think that women's sexuality is oppressed. I still wouldn't date a slut, though.</p>

<p>then college sports are a joke as well.</p>

<p>no they aren't. i can't think of a single sport where women's pro athletes could compete with D1 college athletes.</p>

<p>Mary</a> Kay Letourneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't see how that's a slap on the wrist.</p>

<p>And while women's pro sports may not be up to par with male sports, we still want to see it!</p>

<p>i was talking about the other one. blonde chick. mary kay probably wasn't hot, which is why she went to prison.</p>

<p>and there actually isn't a big market for women's pro sports. that's the reason it isn't televised. it isn't because ESPN hates women.</p>