How bad is a 3.4 gpa?

<p>Just like the title, what is a 3.4 gpa considered? Average? Bad? What types of school would I be able to get into?</p>

<p>I assume that is an unweighted GPA, if that is the case than no it is not bad at all, nearly an A average. That being said if you are looking to be admitted into some of the higher end colleges than it may be a problem since the students typically admitted there have higher GPAs that that.</p>

<p>It is considered an average GPA, most colleges it shouldn’t be a problem (only the selective ones would question)! Good luck!</p>

<p>It depends on your class rank. In general, it’s a bit above average and should get you comfortably into your state schools (at least the lower ones).</p>

<p>Where do seniors at your HS with similar GPA go? Start with them. Make an appt w/your guid counselor too.</p>

<p>Thanks! I’m pretty aware that it’s not good enough for USC(la), Emory, or NYU, my dream schools, but do you think it would be good enough for UF, FSU, and UM? </p>

<p>For UF and FSU, probably not. If UM is University of Michigan, no, without a margin of error.
Are you a junior or a sophomore? What are your SAT or ACT scores?
So far you’re talking about public universities, at least some of which are OOS: have you run the Net Price Calculators? How much can your parents pay?
(OOS public university = no financial aid + OOS surcharge making some public universities much more expensive than private universities.)
What’s in-state for you?</p>

<p>To a great extent it doesn’t matter whether you go to your dream school or any particular school, for that matter. What matters is what you do at the school you go to. So let’s cut from fantasy and abstraction to you and the concrete. It will come down to what YOU are willing to do when you get to a college. There are a ton of distractions, and a 3.4 MIGHT suggest that you have been subject to distractions in the recent past. Find a school where you are likely to do your best, and then do it. Whether that’s USC or the Little Sisters of the Poor, just do it.</p>

<p>I meant Miami, UF, FSU, and Miami are all in state for me.
And jkeil911 you’re exactly right :|, though the 3.4 is mainly just from pure difficulties in a subject or two</p>

<p>According to CollegeData, the average GPA for FSU is 3.8 and at UF it’s not available but it’s higher. This is weighted, so what’s your weighted average? You’d need that as a minimum to have a shot.</p>

<p>In the online Common Data Set files for many colleges, you can find average HS GPAs for entering freshmen (as well as class rank distributions). Example:
<a href=“University of Florida - Common Data Set”>University of Florida - Common Data Set</a></p>

<p>However, a high school GPA, by itself, does not mean too much. Is your 3.4 weighted or unweighted? What’s your class rank? Do most students at your HS go on to college?</p>

<p>If your school offers access to Naviance, you can look up application outcomes for applicants from your HS with various combinations of GPA and test scores.</p>

<p>A 3.4 GPA is fine. It sounds like you are a solid B+/A- student. Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. FSU, UF and Miami are all within reach for you, but as with any school, there are no guarantees. Keep working hard, and formulate a list of schools that include strong matches and some reaches. Good luck.</p>

<p>Themclos: it’s pointless to tell a student they can do anything they want - that’s how they create lists that turn disapppointing and unaffordable. At UMiami, a 3.4 places the student within the bottom 10% applicant so OP would have zero chance (the bottom 25% are athletes, legacies, students who had to overcome great obstacles such as illness or poverty…) We don’t know what Op’s Weighted GPA is so you cannot say that FSU and UF are within reach when those schools’ averages are 3.8 and above 4 weighted (unofficial UF).
A 3.4 GPA represents a B+ student. That’s a solid, strong student who has many choices but not a student who can apply anywhere and get in. There are lots of good colleges that CollegeBound1216 can get into, so s/he should look into the Florida publics (USF or UNF come to mind) and the Colleges that change lives (which are solid schools for B+/A- or even B students - in Florida, those include New College and Eckerd, I think, and Eckerd would definitely be within range for OP.) Then, OP can look for private colleges within the South, Midwest, MidAtlantic, and Pacific Northwest where s/he will provide geographical diversity.
Without an SAT or ACT score and a rank it’s hard to provide more advice than that.
The first two schools to find are the safeties: schools you like, are 100% sure you can get into, and can afford. Then, you add 3-5 matches (where you’re above the average GPA/SAT and up to top 25%, and where selectivity in that case would be around 50-60%). Then, you can add as many reaches as you wish or can afford, and for OP those would be UF, UMiami, or Emory.
So, OP has his reaches for now… time to find the two real safeties (colleges you like, can afford, and are 100% sure you can get into).</p>

<p>If your HS has Naviance it will help you to get a much better feel as to how you stack up with these schools compare to others from your HS.</p>

<p>And essays and interviews and ECs and letters of recommendations…it’s not all about gpa for libreal arts schools. Grinnel for example usually show students 3.9 or 4 gpa. My brother was accepted last year with 3.36 unweighted but had a great interview and they loved his essays. His ACT was a 33. You never know. </p>

<p>^ITA GPA is not the end of the matter. However, for UF and FSU, they received tens of thousands of applications, which is why they can’t really consider other factors than scores and GPA (unless these “other factors” really stand out, ie., football or such). Please note also that your brother ranked in the top 1% nation-wide - another factor we don’t have for OP. Anyway, due to volume of applications, the GPA+scores is the way large public universities function for most applicants. So OP may be better served looking at LACs and private universities with holistic admissions, especially those in the regions cited above, in addition to in-state public universities where his/her GPA is within range.
I also agree with happy1 that OP should use Naviance if his/her high school has it, in order to see where other students from his/her HS go with a 3.4.</p>

<p>MYOS1634, I think you have provided very good advice. I don’t think it differs much from mine, though you have provided good detail. I never said Collegebound2016 could do whatever he wanted. I advised him that his GPA was “not bad”, but was good. It is above average. The colleges in question are within reach, but without additional information, we cannot accurately chance him. He should, as you have advised, formulate a list of strong matches, to go along with his reaches.</p>

<p>I chose too answer his/her original question regarding his/her GPA. It is a good GPA. Too often I have seen people on this site and other sites marginalize students whose GPAs are lower than 4.0 (I am not referencing you or your post). The OP has no reason to feel their GPA is inadequate.</p>

<p>There are plenty of schools where he/she could thrive, including the 3 mentioned here.</p>

<p>Point I was trying to make was moving in direction of liberal arts. If your looking at 20k applicants it’s pretty much data driven with little human review really. I visited Univ of Il and could not imagine taking buses to class and sitting with 350 kids being taught by a TA. That’s just me I’d rather have the school get to know me and vice versa. Bottom line a 3.4 with decent test scores is going to open a lot of doors at the right schools. </p>

<p>3.4 is my (I’m a female to clarify) unweighted gpa, weighted is a 4.0. We don’t use naviance at my school. I haven’t taken the sat yet but I am studying and hope to do well. Thanks for all the replies, very realistic. The only real thing I have to help me in college admissions is my sat score and essays because truth be told my ECs aren’t very great either. </p>

<p>With a 4.0 WGPA, FSU will likely accept you, as will some of the residential “directional” Florida schools (UCF and USF). I will also suggest you might have a chance at Oxford College of Emory although for someone interested in a place like U Miami, it may not be the best fit. </p>

<p>If you’re willing to go far outside of Florida and want a private which is somewhat like U Miami, USC, or NYU, check out Fordham, the University of Denver, Seattle University, and the University of San Diego. Tulane could be a solid reach school and is often seen as a peer of UM. </p>