How come the Bay Area (San Jose, Palo Alto, Palo Verde) has such good students?

<p>There was a 12 year old taking Analysis at UMich…</p>

<p>I took Algebra 1 in 6th grade, only after taking the same math for three years (they didn’t offer anything higher than that, so they placed me in it 3 consecutive years).</p>

<p>No not BC in elementary school that is a little over the edge. I’m talking about Algebra in 3rd/4th, Geometry 4/5, Alg 2 5/6, PreCal/trig 6/7, and AP Calc BC 7/8, much more reasonable, lol.</p>

<p>Maybe not to that extreme, but Algebra should at least be in 4th or 5th grade. In HS we had students who did AP Calc freshman year, so they did Algebra in 5th grade. </p>

<p>I think Algebra in 4th or 5th, Geometry in 5th or 6th, PreCal 6th or 7th, and AP maybe 8th or 9th would be much better than the current math tracks. That way math in elementary school doesn’t bore kids too much with repetitiveness (not in doing problems, but nothing new). I mean once you do long-division, variables, and functions in 2nd grade, there really isn’t a point in waiting until 6th grade for Algebra.</p>

<p>/rant (this is my biggest gripe about the public school system, the lack of strong math preparation in elementary school leading to not as advanced math in secondary school).</p>

<p>^In Elementary School, me and 3 other guys were really ahead in Math, so we left the class for like an hour to do Algebra and Math Topics, then we and like 15 other kids had discovery every day for 2 hours.</p>

<p>The scary thing is that people like that don’t find it boring. It’s not like it’s necessarily hard since classes like that typically start at first principles, but it’s so abstract you’d think a 12 year would wonder *** he was doing there.</p>

<p>“No not BC in elementary school that is a little over the edge. I’m talking about Algebra in 3rd/4th, Geometry 4/5, Alg 2 5/6, PreCal/trig 6/7, and AP Calc BC 7/8, much more reasonable, lol.”</p>

<p>Congrats, you’re smart. Most can’t handle that, and allocating the resources in schools where there might be one kid every 10 years who can handle that doesn’t really make sense. Want a custom education, home school.</p>

<p>Not just asians, but very rich areas with very good public school systems I would guess.</p>

<p>yah homeschool children are more brilliant than children in public/private schools</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I know it’s not the Bay Area, but it really feels like it there. Especially with the high percentage of Asians and high-achieving public schools. Oh, and its proximity to the beach.</p>

<p>And whenever I go to Rolling Hills it’s rainy or overcast.</p>

<p>@Ramblinmann : If kids are going to advance that far in math there is absolutely no point in having Algebra 2 and Precalc/Trig as separate courses. They are completely identical.</p>

<p>It can’t be the education system, it’s absolutely a piece of ****.</p>

<p>I’m from San Jose, YEAAAH! But really, I think it is because of so many asians. Their parents raise them to seize every academic opportunity and they put their whole heart into school. I had one of the most competitive classes… I swear, to be in the top 10%, you probably needed a 4.0 or greater. The lack of ethnic diversity is kind of unnerving to be honest, being one of like 20 caucasians at my school…</p>