how competitive is UCSD (vs. UCB)

<p>I'm considering UCSD bioengineering:pre-med vs. Berkeley MCB now.
What do you guys make of the competitiveness of UCSD in comparison to UCB?
People says it's hard for all UCs since they don't give many As to lower division class students.
However, I assume that SD is not as competitve as Berkeley.
Also, i'm pretty much sure that i want to apply for medical school after undergrad.
and I have some connections at SD to do internships and research there.
Anyways, I heard that both schools are research oriented school which gives a lot of research opportunities.</p>

<p>I'm sooo confused now and can't decided where to go to get into a decent medical school. I don't care about the name-value of undergrad that much since I want to go to good medical school.</p>

<p>Is it hard to get 3.8 gpa at UCSD?</p>

<p>I think (although it doesn't necessarily mean that it's true!) that UCSD while not as competitive as Berkeley in most areas especially non-scientific areas, is pretty competitive in bioengineering. Probably more than Berkeley. Most of my friends who are majoring in bioengineering, are heading to UCSD despite the fact that they got into all the UCs. UCSD bioengineering is ranked third in the country, so if you want a good bioengineering education, SD is a good place to get it.</p>

<p>Premed itself is pretty harsh too. UCSD has for UCs, the highest percent of undergrads that went off to med school. It's 17% if I remember correctly.</p>

<p>17%? that's pretty low..
but that is the percentage of going med school out of all the students graduated.. right?
Anybody know the percent of acceptance/students applied med school at UCSD and UCB?
I guess it's about 50-60%..
how come Princeton has 90% of acceptance rate to med school.
that's weird.</p>

<p>17% is actually pretty high especially factoring in all the other students who are not even planning to go to medical school (business majors, law majors, English majors). I remember reading UCSB for instance, only has 4% of it's undergrads that go off to med school.</p>

<p>wow...if 17% actually attend, and assuming an acceptance rate of ~50% (i'm just making up a number), that means about 1/3 of the student body attempts to get into med school o.O.</p>

<p>yup..acceptance rate is around 50% for med school from UCSD. that isn't low at all...it's not as good as JHU or princeton but it's still high compared to all of the UC's.</p>

<p>i found a website telling the data of Cal graduates going into med school..</p>

<p><a href="http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/top20.stm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/top20.stm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>anybody knows those kind of websites or stats for UCSD?</p>

<p>i want to know the degree of difficulty in HUM courses at Revelle..
i really suck at writing..
so worried about it now..</p>

<p>what about social life at UCSD?
are ppl friendly and likely to help each other.. parties??
anybody wants to comment on it?</p>