How detrimental is this?

<p>So I have a GPA of 3.4 that I have calculated will rise to a 3.7-3.8 by the end of this year. My GPA is low because of a ninth grade tragedy I strived to overcome</p>

<p>In ninth grade I managed a 2.4 GPA (horrible!), but the 3rd and 4th nine weeks were good.</p>

<p>In tenth grade I finished the year with a 3.9 GPA, I took two math courses that year; it is rare for students to take more than one math course at our school per year.</p>

<p>In eleventh grade I finished with a 4.1 GPA, with 2 weighted classes (AP US History and Acad. Physics). This year I also loaded my schedule with an extra science course.</p>

<p>Now in 12th, I finished the first nine weeks with a 4.4 GPA. This year I have taken 3 AP courses and the rest are advanced or honors.</p>

<p>Now for my question...</p>

<p>Will most colleges look past my GPA from ninth grade? If it weren't for that year, I would have been in the top 5% of my class. I realize how poor that year looks on my transcript, but I have tried to overcome the difficulties I faced that year by working hard each following year; I have took the most rigorous course load available at our school, and I am among the top acheivers in the class, but unfortunately I am not "included" with them because of ninth grade.</p>

<p>alot of schools throw out freshmen year, such as UC's</p>

<p>What if your school includes freshmen year when calculating your GPA and class rank?</p>

<p>bump.........</p>

<p>I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I barely passed most of my classes in 9th grade (except for one, which I have to retake in night school. UGH!) But I got straight A's sophomore year and straight A's and 1 B junior year. I think schools actually look favorably on this because of the rising trend. At least, I hope they do. I think the theory is that people who improve are just as good as people who have been doing well their entire high school career. As long as your guidance counselor explains the extenuating circumstances, and your other stuff is good (ECs, etc..) you'll be fine. As for me, we'll find out in December.</p>

<p>they will re-caculate the gpa, but the class rank may stick with you</p>

<p>Class rank gets updated at the end of the semester, just in time, so I should be ok in regards to that as well</p>

<p>Same thing happened to me!
First semester of freshman year my GPA was 3.00, second semester it was 2.67. I never had any excruciating situations either to bring my grades down, I was just lazy and unmotivated. However I did improve like you did as well. And don't worry too much about your class rank, mine improved tremendously after sophomore year. I went from being in the bottom half of my class at the end of freshman year to being in the top 7% at the end of sophomore year.</p>