How did you get your foot in the door?

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am in my first year of college going for my Bachelor's in Computer Science. I want more than anything to be working in this field now; however, I am working a dead end factory job. I am 26 years old and this is the only field I have ever worked in. This is where my problem arises because I have no experience in a computer field yet.</p>

<p>I want to get my foot in the door doing something with computers to get experience for when I do graduate with my degree in three years. I did things a little backwards, I already own a home, am married, no children yet though so I am working full time and attending college full time.</p>

<p>I am looking for anyone who has been in my situation and what they did to get into the field they wanted. Any suggestions of jobs I could check out or things I could do to help me get in the door. I'm not looking for a magical answer, just guidance on some options.</p>

<p>^bumping up for answer</p>

<p>If you cannot afford to be without a full-time job, just try your best to switch to any bottom-level software job you can get. If you can afford to be without a job, it would be better to quit and do one or more of the following with that extra time:
1. Make as many (or all) As as possible. Your GPA will be very important.
2. Do relevant internships/co-ops (preferably without allowing your GPA to sink below 3.5...both overall and major).
3. If it does not hurt your GPA and/or your ability to get (and do good at) good internships: take more classes and graduate sooner.</p>

<p>All of that would do your career more good than any type of full-time job that you can get at this point.</p>