How Difficult Is College?

<p>How difficult are the courses in college (the general ones)? especially at the UC's.
Do colleges (namely the UC's) publish their undergraduate GPAs according to their majors? I can't seem to find even a general undergraduate GPA.</p>

<p>yeah i was wondering that too....people say college is way harder than high school so i dont see how people can even have such a huge social life and keep up grades!</p>

<p>I don't know about publishing grades, but my dean told me the overall avg. for my school(Cal Poly) is 2.8. The avg. for the College of Science and Math is a 2.7.</p>

<p>College is so much easier than high school because you only have class like 12-15 hours a week, and you don't even have to show up as long as you take the tests and do the projects.</p>

<p>Uh......what do you mean you don't have to show up? That's not always true. Some people do count attendance as a percentage of your grade.........</p>

<p>is college difficult? if you want good grades and good job, let me put it a simple way: yes.</p>

<p>i think the avg. gpa at uci was a 2.5. i saw this statistic off uci's website but i forgot where. there was a complete breakdown of avg. gpa's of different majors and even broken down into genders and years. for example, i rember that an avg male in his 2nd yr with an econ major had an avg. gpa of about 3.0</p>

<p>This is how I see it (note that I am still in high school but will have about 24 credits by the time I graduate from high school): if you want the classes to be easier they can be... you don't have to go to class and all you have to do it write a few papers, take a few quizes, and show up for the test. BUT, unless you are a smartie this is a difficult way to pass (with a A or B) a class. I know that my econ teacher purposely includes topics which were only discussed and are not in the book on the test. Also, you have to study. We all know that we hated busy work in high school, but this allowed us to not study and still fly through. I NEVER studied for any class until I started with college classes (and now AP Calc). </p>

<p>College can be easier if you can manage your time and realize when you need to work and when you don't BUT it is also very easy to fall behind.</p>

<p>In my opinion, high school work is VERY easy compared to college. What makes high school difficult, possibly to the extent that it is actually harder than college, is all of the distractions. In high school you have to deal with drugs, sex, violence, and most importantly, you have to worry about being popular. Although you must deal with these things in college too, they are generally MUCH less of an issue in college. These things make high school harder than college but the work is actually much easier.</p>

<p>Is it true that High School students should expect a GPA drop of 1.0, like 4.0->3.0 during the first year of college? That is what one of my councilors said during an informational college seminar. Also, how many classes does the average person take per semester in college? In my HS people take 7 or 6, but I heard a lot of people take just 3 or 4 in college.</p>

<p>I graduated with a 3.8 in high school, now I have a 2.6. I just haven't been putting much effort like I used to.</p>