How do I choose? I'm accepted into BFA Acting and BFA music theatre!

<p>I was accepted into BFA Acting at my first choice college for Music theatre-and I was accepted into BFA MT at my second choice college. Music theatre is my love-but my first choice college is just that. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>My advice would be to go with musical theater. No matter how amazing the first choice school is, if you aren't studying what you love you won't be as happy as you would be at the second choice school. My opinion, of course. </p>

<p>And congratulations!</p>

<p>dreamcoat, in my opinion (for what that's worth!) it depends on what each program offers. If the BFA in acting program is at a really top program where you will have the opportunity to take voice, dance classes etc. and maybe even eventually move to the MT program, that might be worth considering. However, if the BFA in acting is at a place with a very good and hard-to-get into BFA in MT program and only MTs can be in musicals, etc. then it might make more sense to attend the second-choice school for MT. (Another scenario: if the acting program is all about straight acting with no opportunities to do musicals, that might help make your decision, too.) Does that make sense? Also, have you visited both programs? If not, maybe a visit would help gel things. Congrats! It's a great problem to have.</p>

<p>I think your choice might depend on how your first choice school defines the difference between acting and MT. Would there be room in your schedule for dance classes and/or voice lessons? Will you be allowed to audition for musicals? If so, are acting majors often cast in the musicals? You may still be able to put together a good MT curriculum on your own.</p>

<p>I see I cross-posted with NMR, who gave similar advice.</p>

<p>Great minds think alike, as the old saying goes! ;)</p>

<p>One of the admissions folks at one of the four schools we were at in the last couple of weeks said that he'd heard of the "flip a coin" method. If you flip a coin with Heads being Choice A and your gut reaction is that you're bummed it's tails, Go to Choice A. (Hope that makes sense) I'm not sure I buy it completely - but there's some wisdom in it, I think.</p>

<p>Have you visited both colleges? If you haven't, I highly suggest you do. You may be able to make up your mind just by experiencing college life on each of the campuses.</p>

<p>For what its worth from a mom of 2 S in collleges and one D awaiting letters for Acting....I would honestly say go to the college that you love. If and it is a big IF you change your mind, I know you think you never will, but decide to not do MT then you are at a college that you love. And NMR is right, you can do dance, voice and always audition for MT then LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! Really one S is an athlete and chose the school he really liked but with a "lesser known" program. He is happy with his choice, even thought the athletics has been more difficult than he anticipated, he is happy where he is. Just think about what you can live with. And visit again.</p>

<p>Here's a few of things to consider, which school has a better faculty? Is one school connected to a major theatre community such as NY or Chicago? Is there a big difference in the cost (i.e in state vs out of state). How far away from home do you want to be? Have you discussed this with family, your instructors/ coaches etc? I also agree with the other posts stating that if the BFA school allows you dance and voice training and they perform musicals that you can audition for then this may be your best choice.</p>

<p>What schools are they?</p>

<p>It is hard to give advice without knowing the schools and knowing you. Definitely make sure you have visited both schools and as other posters have said that alone might make up your mind. Look at what is available to you in acting, voice, dance classes and the quality of the faculty. Although MTers are passionate and committed they say the average college student changes their major 4 times. If that happened what are the other major possibilities at the 2 schools - would you have to transfer because the school only is desirable for this one major? Have you received their financial aid offers? Comparing 2 of my D's schools there is a $80,000 difference over 4 years in cost. So the question would be would she really gain $80k in advantage at one over the other. </p>

<p>Congratulations on your choices!!!!</p>

<p>Thank you for all the advice. I feel very lucky to have choices. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Go with your gut.
If want to study MT, go there
If you want to go to whatever school you are deciding between for whatever reasons, go there.</p>

<p>My daughter was in the exact same position last year, in fact she made 2 top Acting programs in 2 amazing schools, we went to visit our 5 choices again and it became clear to her that she definitely wanted a BFA in MT, and it was very important that they have a sophisticated dance program that she would never outgrow, strong vocal program and strong acting program. When schools started suggesting that she could take more dance classes outside the program and hier a private voice coach, we decided that was not the way to go. Not only was that going to feel disjointed, it was going to end up being astronomical and in some cases no opportunity for musicals, as her first passion is a singer the choices became obvious. A year later she feels she absolutely made the best choice, she loves the intensity of a great BFA MT program, but that was for her, the points others have made are valid as there are some incredible acting programs and there are ways to supplement, transfer in etc. But don't accept a program if your only true hope is to transfer into MT, I've seen a lot of miserable kids in that situation where it didn't work.</p>