How do I tell my "friends" that I don't want to be friends with them anymore?

<p>My “friends” are not the worst people in the world, but they never tell me anything positive or anything that makes me feel good about myself. They only fill my mind with insecurity, a sense of inadequacy and low self-esteem, all in the name of making me more like them and less like me. I believe that I would be a happier person today if I had never met those guys.</p>

<p>How do I tell them that I want them out of my life?</p>

<p>You don’t. You just stop including them in your life.</p>

<p>You start to make new friends, get involved with them more and more, and gradually do less and less with your old friends. If any of them really notice and care enough to ask why you are gravitating away, tell them what you said here - possible that kids being kids they are unaware of how they act and maybe one or two might learn something from it.</p>

<p>Above all - NO DRAMA, it’s not like you have to “break up” with them or anything.</p>

<p>next time they say something mean , say please don’t make fun of me ,
and maybe they’ll stop</p>

<p>After you give them a chance to fix it by explaining what your issue is, I think it depends on how close the friends are. In some cases I agree with one of the above posters who said to just stop including them-- but when you’ve been friends for years that’s kind of hard, and in my opinion kind of a ***<strong><em>y thing to do. I was friends with the same group from like sophomore year of high school to sophomore year of college before I had the same issues with them that you have with your friends, and I pretty much told them that they treated me like *</em></strong> and I didn’t really want to hang out anymore.</p>

<p>Didn’t you recently make a thread claiming you only had one friend?</p>

<p>There is only one person I consider my friend. Everyone else is either a false friend or an acquaintance.</p>

<p>Like AL34 said, you don’t have to “break up” with them. Just stop associating with them and make new friends.</p>

<p>If you think like this, then they shouldn’t be your ‘friends’. So just keep away from them, no need to do more…</p>

<p>maybe they never thought of you as a friend in the first place</p>

<p>is this the same poster as pmvd?</p>

<p>From how the OP (pmvd? innovativeboxx?) describes his “friends,” I doubt they’d notice or mind if he stopped seeing them.</p>

<p>I think the OP has a valid thought. Sometimes you just outgrow a set of friends. I think this is probably pretty common in college, especially when you go away for college like a lot of people on these boards. You make friends out of necessity as a freshman with some people with some similar interests, or what not, and then just kind of stick with those friendships. But eventually, some friendships just have to die.</p>

<p>This doesn’t mean that you have to not say hi to these people when you see them, or to be mean to them. You can still be friendly, but sometimes it is good to shift some people down from friends to acquaintances if the situation is not right.</p>

<p>Just start acting indifferent to them slowly. If they ask you a question, answer it and stop there - don’t do anything to continue the conversation (most people should get the hint here). Start spending more time with people who actually like who you are and don’t try to hide the fact that you think they’re more important (though you don’t want to flaunt it either).</p>

<p>Basically what Northstarmom said: don’t include them in your life.</p>

<p>I’ve gotten enough good advice. Thank you.</p>

<p>First off, I would recommend making threads on a public college forum. Secondly, I would find other friends.</p>