How do I tell my parents no, that I don't want to do something around scary people?

<p>Well, I return to this board after two days. I have just went through hell. Two days ago, I was putting my backpack in my little truck after stopping by my parent’s office, and since my dad is there, he happens to see a costume of McGruff from the days when I played cartoon characters as a volunteer for a local law enforcement agency. Two hours later, he calls me at home and asks me to play a character using that costume named Dash the Dirt-Hound at one of my family’s companies (They have 4.) events. Of course, since I absolutely love playing cartoon characters, because it gives me a chance to be around children. I definitely want to be a father someday, if I can find a mother who is so wonderful (we love each other, we do everything for our kids) that I couldn’t imagine my life without her. Anyways, we arrive at the site of the event after a 4 hour drive, and immediately problems start because of the environment that this event is taking place in (a dirt race track). It attracts all sorts of unsavory rednecks who are addicted to loud cars, cigarettes, and beer. That is definitely the type that I do not want to be around. The loud noises (I’m sensitive because I have Asperger’s Syndrome.) frightened me so much that I tried to sit in the back of the company trailer and cover my ears, but was forced to get up by my mom and sit in a place where I had to endure intense screaming in my mind over the loud engine noises. Finally, it was time to dress as my cartoon character. I got partnered up with two other employees–a stupid redneck who smoked heavily while he was escorting me around (My vision and coordination are even more impaired while in that costume.), and his son who is ■■■■■■■■ and looked even more scary with his speech impairments and just as bad cigarette habit. WAS THAT IMPRESSING CHILDREN? After I passed out balloons to the children, which was the only good part of the night, I got dragged to the center of the event around even louder cars in order to represent the company for the race awards ceremony and the throwing of tennis balls into the crowd with prizes in them. That especially irritated me, and I wanted to cry and scream, but I held it in all through the night.</p>

<p>The night of hell finally ended, and we went home. I thought it would be over, but now I’m being told that I may have to do it again because of the extremely positive response I got. The only reason I would do it again is:</p>

<p>1.) to further my engineering career since I am unable to get a job outside of my area because everyone at school is frightened of me and all they do is tell on me to the administration and never understand it is Asperger’s they are seeing</p>

<p>2.) to not get yelled at again and never ever be allowed to go find a job outside my area</p>

<p>Of course, I wasn’t paid for this horrible experience, even though they tried to pass me off as an “employee”. I want to tell my parents that I want to stick to engineering, that there is no way in hell that I will go through that again with my Asperger’s Syndrome. How do I tell them that I want to do engineering, which I love more than anything and would want Christmas presents for, and not do that horrible unpaid job without being judged as too immature to handle an engineering job in STL or anywhere else? Please help me, I am very upset. Thank you for your comments.</p>

<p>Seek counseling imediately. Something is very wrong with this story and a qualified counselor might be able to help you.</p>

<p>I have said it before: It is not is your best interests to seek help on a public forum. You should be asking these questions of professional couselors, not of strangers on a faceless forum. We are not qualified to help you.</p>

<p>I am sorry you are upset, but getting responses here is no substitute for getting real help.</p>

<p>I am definitely going to be discussing this with my counselors tomorroww (Monday). For a bright, upbeat, family man like me, this incident was very disturbing, and like I said: hell! I did do some research and I believe that the loud noises created a sensory overload in my mind similar to scratching a chalkboard again and again, non-stop.</p>

<p>I am trying to find a job for this fall so that I can make some money so that I can live on my own. I am trying to get my research experience to offer a tuition waiver so that I can get $5500 per year from my parents, as well as an allowance. I am also trying to get some scholarships in order to offset the cost of living. Does anyone know of any other way to get some money for living on your own? I can’t get FAFSA because my dad makes over $100,000-$150,000 a year. Are there any grants that can help me with living expenses, if I can arrange for a tuition waiver? My parents will give me a job this summer related to engineering, but unless I can arrange money for fall, I will be unable to afford to move out. Can someone help me out on this?</p>

<p>I don’t understand why parents would put an Asperger’s kid in situations like that. You have my sympathy. Sorry I can’t offer anything more.</p>

<p>I definitely feel like I should not go to school tomorroww because I am so traumatized by this event–over 24 hours after it has happened. I want to go to counseling, but it is closed right now, and there are no Asperger’s specialists in my area.</p>

<p>Can someone help me out with the above questions, and with this situation? I guess this is a bump of my thread up to the top.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ditto. Seriously, if you having problem after problem and its not academic related, then people here can’t help you. CC is for academic help–not family counseling, not therapy, not psychological help.</p>