How do they check what you put on FAFSA is your parents don't pay American taxes?

<p>My parents earn too much for me to get any need-based aid so I didn’t bother filling it out but I was just wondering: I’m American but my parents aren’t…and we live overseas…so how can anyone confirm that the information I put on the FAFSA is correct? Can’t I just say my parents are unemployed?</p>

<p>Quite simply your fafsa will not be processed and may result in you not receiving any financial aid. IF your parents are not citizens, they still have to report their income on the FAFSA. They will not be able to sign electronically, so timing will be a factor because everything will have to be done through the mail. The school will ask for certified copies of their bank statements, employer letters foreign tax statements, etc.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that some schools will require the FAFSA for merit consideration.</p>