How do you deal with people who are against gays?

<p>
[quote]
Consequently, we would have to refer to gays as strictly homosexuals, just as we refer to African Americans as strictly black or African American.

[/quote]

...what? I'm pretty sure that it's fine to call them gay.</p>

<p>Also, I agree, if you know that it's actually offensive why would you keep saying it? You should know by this point of your life that "because everyone else was doing it" is not an actual reason to do something.</p>

<p>again, I don't do it BECAUSE everyone else does it. In fact, I DO constantly try to remind myself not to say it, because I know it's offensive.</p>

<p>I've noticed a decreased usage of "gay" as a slur as I moved up grade levels, and also as I've started hanging out with smarter people.</p>

<p>Also: It's "gay people," not "gays". Adjective, not noun.</p>

<p>To deal with people who hate gays, call them gay. Ask them to prove that they're not if they claim they aren't. They'll try to deny it so much that it's funny because that's the last thing they'd want to be called.</p>

<p>@609Represent Sorry. Since you didn't clarify, it certainly came across as an excuse.</p>

<p>@dblazer ... what? That has got to be the most ineffective way to deal with heterosexism. "I'll call you gay to rile you up, which will imply that being gay is a bad thing, which is exactly what I disagreed with in the first place."</p>

<p>
[quote]
I've noticed a decreased usage of "gay" as a slur as I moved up grade levels, and also as I've started hanging out with smarter people.

[/quote]

So true, I'm a junior in high school now. You heard it a lot in middle school, and among the freshmen I guess because they're just from middle school. You don't really hear is among the smarter upperclassmen. Mostly among the jocks and the "gamer" kids.</p>

<p>I agree with the above post. I also feel like since I live in a very liberal part of northern California (think pride) I don't here it that much. Maybe once or twice a month, really. </p>

<p>Also, I have used the word "gay" negatively before, probably when I was in like sixth grade. When I realized how rude it was I stopped. Consciously. After a few weeks I would never accidentally say it. </p>

<p>Also, if you can't stop yourself from saying it, how do you plan to not pass it on to the next generation? Obviously you have to stop at some point, why not now?</p>

<p>Also, @609Represent, I don't think that a lot of the population will ever change. Especially in the bible belt, where many people prefer to "adhere to religion" rather than consider the feelings of the kids they are pretty much emotionally abusing. I don't think that it's possible for me/others who arent homophobic to change the world, but I do think that we can have accountability for ourself and stop using slurs instead of making up pathetic excuses.</p>

<p>It is imperative that you speak up when you hear derogatory language being used regardless of its pervasiveness in a given discourse. By being passive you are a silent witness and are contributing to violence. Yes, speech can be violence. It is your duty to educate people who are ignorant of the harm they cause. By standing up for what is right you will find that any ostracization shall give way to respect and admiration</p>

<p>^ No, it's not imperative, and no, it's not anyone's duty. (Especially not of the marginalized group of people in question.) If the person is in a position to do it, then it would certainly be appreciated, but it's not their obligation. Don't shift the blame.</p>

<p>@drinkyoupretty, while it's not that persons fault if they don't say anything, they are an enabler and therefore still partially guilty, and by doing that will most likely be encouraging the person.</p>