How do you declare your high school foreign language?

<p>So, I've called half a dozen offices and no one can tell me if I have to take any more foreign language classes for a BioChemistry degree. I've had 3 years of a single foreign language in high school. On the NS site under the BioChem degree plan, it states: </p>


<p>Foreign Language/Culture: one of the following options:
a. 2nd semester proficiency in a foreign language
b. 1st semester foreign languarage and a foreign culture course of the same language area.
c. Two 3 hr. foreign culture courses
note: Foreign culture courses to be chosen from NS approved list.</p>


<p>I suppose I have completed the Option A, right? Why is it not showing up on my Interactive Degree Audit? Yes, my transcripts are current and up to date. How do I declare it or how can I get it to show up in my IDA? </p>

<p>Also, what is and where can I find the NS approved list?</p>

<p>I believe every college other than McComb's requires students to take a foreign language at the college level. So while you have it for high school credit, it won't count towards your degree. You can try testing out of it or take those classes again for college credit at a CC or UT.</p>

<p>Seriously? I was told by our HS counselor that it would suffice and that UT wanted 3 years instead of 2 in HS. So, I wasted my time taking it the third year? Other than to satisfy the State Educ. Board, HS foreign language isn't going to do anything at UT? It used to always be, back to the dawn of time, that HS foreign language got you out of taking it in college.</p>

<p>It sounds like what you need to do is test out out of the last class that UT wants you to take; this is called "credit by examination" </p>

<p>Check with the academic department that offers the class UT wants you to take. Like, if you had three years of German in high school, email the German department and ask about credit by exam.</p>

<p>Here's how it works with Russian, for example.
<a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Pretty much every college offers this for languages that are taught there. It's more of a challenge when the language you know is not offered at your college.</p>

<p>I think I know what OP is referring to. At least for music, there's a section of the degree that is entitled "high school deficiencies." If a student enters UT with these, he or she is required to take 506 and 507 to fulfill this deficiency. However, certain degrees may require additional language courses.</p>

<p>Here are the general UT policies on Credit By Exam: </p>


<li><p>The University affords students the opportunity to demonstrate that their knowledge is equivalent to that of students who complete a UT Austin course with a grade of C or higher. The University permits students to apply to take an examination in any undergraduate course. Credit earned by examination satisfies degree requirements in the same way as credit earned by passing a course, except that it does not count as credit earned in residence. UT Austin uses the results from many standardized and departmentally constructed tests in this program.</p></li>
<li><p>Many high school students who have attained college level proficiency use the credit by examination program to earn credit for introductory courses that would be repetitious for them.


<p>Course</a> Placement and Credit by Examination</p>

<p>Yes, thanks. I talked to the testing center and will have to take the test.</p>