How do you get a coach's attention?

<p>Targeted a few schools where junior son would like to play football, emailed resume and asked where to send tapes. No response. Too early to call, don't wish to invest in camp if there is no interest...should he resend email? Any other suggestions regarding what to do next?</p>

<p>Coaches, especially at "big-name" schools, get a ton of e-mails everyday. If your son's a junior, it's not too early to give the coaches a call, and he needs to get on their radar soon to have a good chance at recruitment. So, I'd recommend calls and/or a follow-up e-mail.</p>

<p>I agree with the suggestion to have your son call. The better the program relative to your S's talent, the more need there is to be aggressive with self-promotion. It shows the coach that he is interested, motivated, and self-confident.</p>

<p>Find out if the schools have camps. If so, go there.</p>

<p>Not sure what you mean by a "few" schools, but if that number is less than 10, I would suggest that you increase the number of schools dramatically and soon. College coaches have been recruiting the current juniors for quite some time now, and if he isn't hearing from those coaches you have already contacted, it probably means that they aren't interested. Drop me a PM if you would like some ideas about how to contact more schools in a hurry.</p>

<p>Many athletic pages have questionnaires that you can fill out- it wouldn't hurt to do those as well. </p>

<p>Also, you may want to try an account on berecruited.com, you may be able to find some interest there as well as tools to research more schools that could be a fit.</p>

<p>It also strikes me that you need to have a realistic, brutally honest assessment of your son's prospects more generally. Do you know someone who would give you such an assessment?</p>

<p>Remember that there are rules as to when coaches, at DI or II, are allowed to contact athletes, and the amount of times that a coach can contact an athlete, etc...Between that and the amount of emails that they get, that is why you have not received a response. Talk to your son's high school coach about where to send the film, he should help you. Just make sure you get the film out.</p>

<p>Agree with the other posters that it's smart to pick the phone up and call although most kids are a little intimidated to do that. If he's willing, have him role play with you first. Have your son develop a profile on one of the online recruiting sites like berecruited.com, and then direct the coaches he calls to the information he has posted on that site. He should ask them if he can send them tape and if so, would they like game or highlights tape? It's too early for them to call him but they can respond if he calls. Just make sure he aims himself at the appropriate level or he'll be wasting his time and theirs. Good luck.</p>

<p>If I am contacting the coaches by email, is it still necessary for me to call them to get on their radar? Or am I already on their radar by communicating via email?</p>

<p>Personally, I think email is good enough. If they want to develop more of a relationship with you via the phone, they can ask/suggest you to call them, or they can pick up the phone and call you once July 1st comes around.</p>

<p>In my recruiting experience, I found that sending a resume is actually a hindrance. You need to catch the coaches attention quickly.. and a 3 page resume wont do that. Since they get tons of emails per day as mentioned, you need to stand out</p>

<p>For me, I focused my first email on my personal interest in the school and my academics. Mind you, Im attending an academic school and not a large state school, but still. I had to make myself stand out, and thats probably what you were missing from your original email.</p>

<p>One thing to consider is regular snail mail. I have a friend who is a coach at a top DI tennis program. He told me he receives tons and tons of emails, but hardly ever gets regular mail. He said, he will often just glance at emails but he will read the actual letter. Just food for thought....</p>