How do you withdraw app after acceptance?

<p>Hi everyone, Sorry to be asking the mother of all naive questions, but S has decided not to attend the one and only 4-yr college he applied to (and was accepted at) and instead attend the local comm college. How should he formally withdraw his app to the 4-yr school? He has not sent any money for housing or had any correspondence with the school since getting his acceptance letter.
Thanks.</p>

<p>Does he know who his admissions counsellor is? I would send an email to him/her.</p>

<p>I agree--An email to the admissions office is usually sufficient. Simply have him thank them for their consideration and acceptance but he has decided to peruse other options.</p>

<p>He doesn't have to reply at all until May 1, unless he was accepted Early Decision. I would encourage him not to turn down the acceptance yet. He has plenty of time, and if he changes his mind in the next 3 months, he may not be able to get the acceptance back. What's the rush? Kids change their minds, so I wouldn't do anything just yet.</p>

<p>For cornell, I called the admissions office and they gave my message to the director of admissions, who contacted me via email and i withdrew my acceptance offer by that</p>

<p>There should be an option on-line or in the paper work that he got where he can decline the admission offer. Of course, a non-response by the deadline to respond also effectively declines the admission offer.</p>

<p>If he doesn't have to reply until May 1st, he might want to wait a bit longer til he's sure. Kids can change their minds a few times during these weeks.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I will have him wait till end of April to withdraw and in the meantime check for instructions on how that should be done. Great advice, thank you!</p>

<p>My daughter did it by e-mail. She wrote "Withdrawl" in the subject line. Derrr.....</p>

<p>I agree with the others who say wait until May 1st. Many things can happen to make a kid change their mind. More than once. :D</p>