I am currently a junior at the York College of Pennsylvania who is currently in debate over doing biology or a self-design degree in bioinformatics. My dilemma more specifically goes involves choosing which path is best. Here are some key notes about both:
- Major in Biology:
- Graduate Spring 2023 (more time to work - 1 year earlier than average freshman)
- Broader degree allows for more doors to be open
- Already established so no hassle in terms of courseload and is already created for higher education and/or jobs out of college.
- Allows for more exploration (though I am rather confident I want to go down this route)
- Would minor in Computer Science and Mathematics.
- Major in Bioinformatics:
- Graduate Fall 2023 (1 semester earlier than average freshman)
- Specific degree might make me more niche and better for job opportunities
- Graduate schools might appreciate my degree more
- Already created a formal proposal (but keep changing it for certain courses)
- Would take 2 graduate level classes at the undergraduate level.
There is a lot of dualities to both and I have been kind of under pressure to decide since I have only about 1 more month. I am also more than open and encourage further discussion. Thank you very much!