How does an internship look on my resume?

<p>I am a great student in high school but really don't have any extracurriculars that stand me apart from others. I have a 3.85 GPA unweighted with a 2100 SAT Score (which I plan to improve). </p>

<p>I volunteer at my local hospital and I have been working as an intern this summer. These two activities are basically my only extracurriculars. How well does an internship look? I plan on beefing up my resume by the fall before I officially apply to colleges. With a resume I don't exactly explain what I learned or experienced in my internship so would an internship really only be a MAJOR PLUS if it was incorporated in one of my essays?</p>

<p>My goal is to get accepted into a top 20 school and at this point in time the only thing I can do to improve my chances are to make my resume bigger and better.</p>

<p>It's not a "major plus" when compared to the applicant pool you'll insert yourself into. Your competitors will have the same if not more. But at least you have it. The key for you will be rec letters and if you can improve your SAT, do so. Obviously, take the hardest class load this fall and top it off gradewise.</p>

<p>Would you say that teachers and the principal know you to be one of the handful of top academic students at your school? Generally, these are the viable applicants to the schools you're targeting.</p>

<p>Good luck to you</p>

<p>Would my internship really only make an impression if I wrote about it in an essay? In a resume I would not be able to write much about the experience.</p>

<p>it depends on what kind of internship. a few more details would help. Then it may be worth writing about?</p>

<p>Im working at an engineering company that is currently working on a subway transit center in Manhattan, New York.</p>

<p>can you get a letter of reference?</p>

<p>What are you doing there/your responsibilities? Is it a full time job? Was this a referral from school, an family connection? What is your intended field of study?</p>

<p>Did it mean enough to you to incorperate it into essay? If not, including it may come off as contrived.</p>

<p>Family connection. Summer internship only. I'm undecided but most likely going to major in biology.</p>

<p>I do clerical work mostly but time to time I'm exposed to legit things including access to world trade center construction sites, underground subway sites, bridges, water plants. I learn and see things 90 percent of the world wont see in their lifetime.</p>

<p>doesnt sound like too much essay material. Unless there was a specific incident.</p>

<p>This qualifies as Work exp. not as an ec</p>

<p>Well I do have plenty to write about because it was a tremendous learning experience. I live alone in manhattan and I've matured a lot from this summer; I've experienced the real life.</p>

<p>This is indeed work experience but does that mean it really doesn't fall under extracurriculars? Does that make it almost not an "extra" to my resume.</p>

<p>it just goes under "Work Exp" not EC's. they normally have 2 categories on the app</p>

<p>Your benefit here is a good essay about living alone and your first work experience. It's hard to stretch it into something else. You don't have to. It is a wonderful experience and something to be proud of. Where you are hitting a wall is trying to get this experience to fill too many voids. Even if you were working for a biomedical lab as a research assistant, and this is what made you decide on biology as a major, it still leaves the reader wondering 'What did they do with the rest of their time? What did they do during the school year or previous summers?'.</p>

<p>NOTE: On the Common App. work exp. and ECs are in the same space.</p>

<p>First off id like to thank you guys for the wisdom. It's great to hear from people who actually know the ins and outs of this system. </p>

<p>I guess i would call myself guilty of trying to pad my resume last minute because my plan is to get one fall internship and volunteer again. </p>

<p>I don't feel like I'm trying hard to fill in voids I guess I just feel like I dont have enough to stand apart from my peers. I'll admit I'm not the most impressive student who has found a cure for a disease or went to haiti to help. </p>

<p>Now that common app has officially "opened" i will check if out soon and maybe I'll really see how much I can do.</p>

<p>I think living on your own is a unique experience, but it may or may not be essay-worthy in the context of your other important activities.</p>

<p>Don't worry about the kids who have been overseas on mission trips. Frankly they are starting to sound a bit vanilla because so many parents are paying for their kids to do this.
If you have the grades, scores, and rigor of study, make sure your essays are unique. It sounds like your experience in NYC this summer was amazing. Find something that shows about you. The essay should show, not tell, about the person.
There is nothing wrong with your approach of getting a fall internship and some volunteer work. Do what you can and do it well. I would advise against the terror of looking at the application and joining 7 clubs your sr year.
There are always going to be people that have amazing resumes. The admissions committees are not looking for an entire class of well rounded students, they are looking to choose amazing students to form a well rounded class. Subtle, but important difference.</p>