How does you HS deal with overenrolled AP courses?

<p>In our high school twice as many students have signed up for a particular AP course as there are seats available. How does your high school deal with over-enrolled AP classes? Who gets priority and why. Thanks.</p>

<p>HS has ridiculously rigid requirements for AP courses so never a problem; this only seems to happen in schools where anyone is permitted to sign up for AP.....</p>

<p>Priority should be by grade achieved in preceding course (pre-requisite) starting with those who are signing up from the previous course at the honors level. Start with the kids who got an "A" in the previous year's honors course and work way down to fill the class</p>

<p>My school basically tosses everyone in the class and lets the teacher unleash one hell of a first week of classes, including a test. People who aren't serious (aka "I'm taking this class because it should be easy and it looks good") drop the class like it's hot, LOL.</p>

<p>However, for some classes like AP Calc they take votes from math teachers. Students are either accepted, rejected, or accepted conditionally (borderline students).</p>

<p>Happykid's HS practices open enrollment for Honors and AP. There is no such thing as "over-enrollment" for either category of class. If the Honors or AP section is hopelessly over-full, this means that the lower-level course isn't full enough and so two lower-level courses are merged. Occasionally teachers have multi-level classes because there aren't enough on-level students to make a full section. When Happykid took Latin 2, the Latin AP class met during the same period and the teacher split her energy between the two groups of students. While she was with the Latin 2 students, the Latin AP kids did independent desk work, and vice versa.</p>

<p>Daddy of 3, if there are really twice as many students who want to take AP as there are spaces available, why shouldn't the school offer a second AP class, or double the number of classes, perhaps in different periods? The students presumably have to be in some class in the other time slots, anyway.</p>

<p>The only way that I could see that this wouldn't work is if there is only one teacher who is qualified to teach the subject at the AP level, and that teacher's schedule is completely full with AP classes. This is unlikely at most schools. </p>

<p>I suppose there might be an issue with a foreign language class, where the teacher has to handle all of the earlier year courses as well. We had a similar situation to the one that happymomof1 mentioned--the local HS Latin teacher taught AP Latin and Latin 3 in a split period--and still wound up having the majority of the state's public school students who scored a 5 on the AP Latin Vergil exam.</p>

<p>Our district ordinarily only allows jr and sr to take AP classes and limits the number taken to 3 so over enrollment is not a huge problem. However first priority goes to seniors.</p>

<p>Our school opens up a new section. I think that you should push like crazy for this solution. Students should not have to be denied this opportunity if they are willing to take the class and do the work.</p>

<p>Our school recently changed one of the AP classes that was orig a year long class to only one semester...so two classes for the price of one. Of course since they changed this, more students have room in their schedules to take this course. Lo and behold, they won't let anybody else sign up for it. When students and parents started complaining, , they said they'd look into creating another class, but would be filled using a lottery system. I don't agree with that system, but they didn't ask for our opinions. :(</p>

<p>My kids go/went to a small Catholic high school where the teachers have meetings to discuss which students will get invited to take the AP courses. Over-enrollment has never been an issue.</p>

<p>For the science APs, our HS has placement tests, as we only have 1 section of each AP science (only Seniors can take Bio, Physics or Environ; Jrs & Srs can take Chem). Your score on the placement test determines your rank. They accept up to 30 kids/class and establish a wait list based on the rank. </p>

<p>I've seen lots of kids drop their AP Science after seeing the summer assignments for that class or their other classes. (some Jrs take placement test for all 3 and then figure out which they really want, so they always go to the waitlist). </p>

<p>Art History is the toughest AP to get into as there's only one section. No clue how they come up with the list, but Srs get priority and Jrs who applied and didn't get in Soph year are next. </p>

<p>For Math, English, History & Foreign Languages, you need teacher reco's and placement tests. They do not turn away kids for any of these, however scheduling can be a problem and sometimes you need to make choices. (ie/ a neighbor had to choose between AP Span Lit & AP Calc, as they conflicted when the rest of her schedule was put together).</p>

<p>Our school adds an additional section if enough kids sign up. Anyone can take AP classes if they meet the prerequisites and get teacher approval. Some teachers do try to weed kids out with tough summer assignments and a difficult test the first week of school.</p>

<p>Our school has never had a problem with overenrollment in its AP -- the summer assignments often scare off the kids who thought the classes would be no different than a regular class.</p>

<p>D's very small private HS (33 kids in graduating class) did not allow to take AP before Junior year. They also did not allow to take more than 3 AP's / year. Also, some teachers simply did not believe in AP, they had only regular/Honors classes. Level in all classes at D's school was higher than AP's at other schools, which has landed my D. a job as Chem prof. Supplemental Instructor (was hand picked by Chem. prof.). D's HS did not offer Chem AP, she just had an Honor's class. College Chem. was a walk in park after her HS Chem.</p>

<p>This is one of the reasons my kids don't go to school in our very highly rated school district. The AP classes are overfilled each year and there is a matrix and app procedure to get into them. When my neighbor told me that her DD did not get into Calc and English with very good grades, I know my kids would not even have a chance. At private schools they were able to take whatever they pleased, the risk was on their heads as to the grades. And they all did well on the AP exams getting mostly 4s and 5s. I wanted them in the classes that covered the material on a thorough and high level despite the fact that they were good students because, they were the kind that lowered their efforts to the level of the course. They would get the same grades for the lower level courses as they would for the upper, for the most part. In my case, it worked out, as they did get a better education that way, and this allowed my Performing Arts kid to take nearly all PA courses in college. I doubt he would have gotten through otherwise. And yet he got the education in high school of materials ordinarily covered in college.</p>

<p>My son's huge public high school lets any student sign up for whatever P classes they want. Teachers recommend next's year classes to their students (example - your English teacher will recommend you for AP Lit next year), but students/parents can waive a student into a higher level class. Students register for the following year's classes by March 1st. No class fills up before March 1st - they just schedule out the classes and teachers for the following year based on what student's signed up for. between March 1st and May 1st, students can make schedule changes if there's room in a class. After May 1st, no schedule changes no way, no how. And students cannot change once the school year starts - no figuring out that an AP class is too tough and switching out to regular.</p>

<p>At my kids' school APs have open enrollment. If there are too many in a class, they open a new section. </p>

<p>On the flip side, however, some classes are canceled because not enough kids sign-up. AP Euro one year and Human Geography another. </p>

<p>AP foreign languages won't be canceled, though. Last year my son was the only kid in AP French. It was held during the same period as French 4.</p>

<p>Our school has summer assignments, prerequisites, often minimum grades or tests - not unreasonable minimums, more to make sure you are capable of doing the work. But if there really is too much interest they open another section. That said, some AP classes are bigger than I would like - their theory is that the AP students are smart enough to deal with it and the struggling students need the smaller classes.</p>

<p>Our HS is open enrollment for AP. We are a low-to-average performing HS, so the demand isn't terribly high. However, we started an AVID program about 4 years ago (for 1st gen college bound) and all AVID kids are required to take at least one AP. My kids have never had a problem with AP classes filling up, but S (current soph) has had problems because APs are generally only offered one or two periods, which conflict with his choir and theater classes (he's in performing arts magnet). So he is ending up taking fewer APs than he should just due to scheduling. I figure that we'll just explain that on his college aps.</p>

<p>Frankly at the end the only AP's that made sense in my D's case were Calc, English and History. Being pre-med, she had to take college Bio starting with the first class. The first college Bio covered her AP Bio material in first 2 weeks.....then it made good number of valedictorians from private HS's change their major because of inablity to get a decent grade in this weed out killer class and even harder lab.. Sorry, AP's do not help much in classes like that.</p>

<p>MiamiDAP: I don't know if I agree. Maybe the fact that she had already had AP Bio helped a little. I know for my son, he went straight into Chemistry (for physical science and engineering majors) and was completely overwhelmed. He said the majority of the class had AP Chem (which wasn't offered at our school) and were just slightly overwhelmed. I think if you take the most rigorous classes your high school offers (whether they are AP or not) you are more prepared for college level classes.</p>