How does your child's school announce acceptances?

<p>I don't think any of my D's schools (2 private, 1 public) announced where students had been accepted. The private schools publish a complete list of where graduates will be attending college. Good marketing strategy if nothing else. </p>

<p>The public is another story. For many years the student newspaper had a short biography (Yearbook style) for the top ten graduates that included where each would be attending college. This was dropped several years ago. I couldn't find any matriculation information for recent grads ... even Vals and Sals.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) put an end to public announcements like schools used to do. Now, schools can't just release that sort of information beyond allowing kids to submit the info themselves if they wish, or just putting out general info about where grads are going without any names. Many schools no longer publish "Honor Roll" lists in the newspapers either, for the same reason.</p>

<p>Announcements are made at assemblies as acceptances come in. And the principal includes the announcements in his monthly newletter. It's a small private high.</p>

<p>My kids' high school has the schools where kids are going listed in the graduation booklet, but no other announcements as far as I can tell. Frankly, I think that's all there needs to be. Whose business is it? As a student, I would have been mortified to have had my college acceptances listed in a monthly bulletin or something of that nature. I don't read the local-yokel paper so I have no idea if it's listed there, but I don't think it is.</p>

<p>"Whose business is it?"</p>

<p>The answer rather depends on whether the school is fulfilling its role in the community. If federal or state law prohibits public distribution of where students are going to college, that's one thing. If administrators are withholding the information so the school system can't be evaluated, that's something else again. Our public school system has a history of the latter.</p>

<p>Wow, it never occurred to me that students' post-graduation plans were announced. Our school doesn't. In any way, although the following year there is a report at the school board meeting with the numbers of how many went to trade school, how many to work, how many to the service, how many to post-secondary. But that's it. And there's no senior awards banquet. Doesn't all this stuff make some students feel devalued?</p>

<p>teachandmom-we sign a form at the beginning of the school year to allow the school to publish photos, use the kids' names in articles, honor rolls, etc. If you opt out of that your name won't appear on any honor rolls, etc. but I don't know of anyone that has done that. Most schools around here still publish honor rolls on school websites and in the newspaper.</p>

<p>Doesn't all this stuff make some students feel devalued?
No, it finally makes some students feel valued for their intellect, hard work, and dedication to academics. Schools celebrate jocks multiple times every year, but smart kids have to usually wait until the very end of high school to get the recognition they deserve from SCHOOL. In my high school, athletes had dinners every year, received letters, heck we had whole assemblies just to get revved for the games...I never got a "letter" for making honor roll each term, etc. No one can tell you who the top 10 academically ranked kids were in our high school class, but they sure can name the top 10 jocks of our class. Talk about feeling "devalued" - it was more like confused about the real importance of school!</p>

<p>At a local public high school the students self-report to the Career Center (mis-named office of college bound guidance) and their names are added to balloons on a bulletin board. There are large balloons for the state schools and smaller balloons for the more distant and private schools. Community collegemillrace schools, and enlistments all posted. This usually begins when the ED acceptances arrive. Some kids choose not to post their names.</p>

<p>Well, yeah, I didn't mean vs. other activities, I meant compared to one another? We do have a "faculty scholar" medal that everyone above a certain gpa wears at graduation, but throughout the year many of our kids are in the papers, etc.. for various academic accomplishments. Maybe that's why we don't have a specific banquet thing. I do agree that sports tend to be the most visible rallying point. (Let's all imagine a pep rally for the debate team...or science olympiad) Thanks for the perspective</p>

<p>greenbutton--no one hesitates to tout athletic accomplishments at school, in the newspapers, etc. Does that devalue kids that aren't in that sport? I'm glad that our school goes above and beyond to recognize the top scholars (and even the average to above average). These kids work their rear ends off to get to that level, most of them anyway. Just like the start quarterback works his rear end off to get to that level on the football field. Kids at our school do earn a letter for their letter jacket for academic success and in big, bold letters everyone knows that you are not only a great athlete but a GOOD student. Those letters are prized more than the sports letters by most kids in our school.</p>

<p>The names and where they were going were printed in the commencement bulletin. I felt bad for my daughter's friend who didn't get in anywhere. I think it said something like "undecided". Our school also uses Naviance and the acceptances are indicated with dots and no names, but the SAT scores are shown. I was a little annoyed because no one but my daughter was accepted at her school, and it was obvious that that SAT score was hers. I would have prefered to keep that private.</p>

<p>Naviance--our school uses this as well but I haven't spent any time on that site. I didn't really even know what it was until coming to this board. I don't know if they announce information on there or not. I will have to have one of the kids sign into their account and see. I don't know if they can access information outside of their graduating class or not??</p>

<p>You know, I still say living well is the best revenge. I couldn't care less that all the dumb jocks making their way to Unimpressive East Directional State U had their names in the papers, etc. while my kids flew under the radar screen. "Recognition in the local community" when my kids aren't really ever going to come back to this community isn't very meaningful to me. </p>

<p>(No, I'm not saying all jocks are dumb jocks, so don't go there. I'm commenting on the "but the local paper touts who won XYZ sport!" Yeah, well, so?)</p>

<p>Touting who won is just another form of recognition....and VERY FEW of the jocks at our school would be considered dumb...unless of course those kids are the ones that got "special exceptions for admissions" at places like Harvard, Yale, Cornell, etc. :). I give our paper and school credit, there is just as much recognition given for sports, fine arts, Debate, etc. They do a great job balancing that. The kids work just as hard in their sports as they do in school so why not recognize that...keeping in mind that without those sports/activities they aren't getting INTO those top schools.</p>

<p>There is a wall in our English department with a list of schools where current seniors gained admission. The teachers do this. As for guidance, our college counselor, at the start of this school year, had a huge display outside her office (and near our cafeteria) listing student names and colleges/military of the previous graduation class.</p>

<p>Our local paper publishes were kids are going. My kid lost release, so her name didnt get it. People were afraid to ask me what she was doing. Funny.</p>

<p>I manage our small public HS college center. This year we have devoted a bulletin board to posting logos of all the colleges to which students are accepted. They are not associated with names, (and if someone asks me "who got into...?" I don't tell because of privacy--unless a student says its ok) and we put up as many logos as acceptances, which means the state flagships have a lot of logos on the board. My printer recently was broken, so there was a three-week period during which I didn't post the logos and the students and staff were all clamoring to get the new logos up. Everyone seems to enjoy seeing the colleges, and it is great for prospective parents and students to see the success of the kids, from community and vocational schools to "big" names. I haven't heard a negative comment yet.</p>

<p>SJTH--our high school has a wall with college pennants on it showing where the previous year's kids are attending. It's a nice visual for the kids to see the achievements.</p>

<p>At the student awards ceremony in June they announce where the top 25 students are going as part of the intro of each student. Otherwise it's just an anonymous list of acceptances which appears in the school profile and whatever you can figure out from Naviance.</p>