How Far wil National Violin Accomplishments Get You?

<p>I will be applying to colleges next year. I am a 3.6 avg and have 2000 range SATs . I have won state and national recognition playing the violin along with many other accolades in violin. Do I have a chance for Ivy League, Stanford, Emory?</p>

<p>You might want to check on the music major section of CC as well. My sense is that it may help a little at some schools if you audition or do a mini-lesson with a music deparment professor and they are very impressed. You might want to check which schools even offer or seem to pay attention to auditions and mini-lessons (and then plan how to get those set up. some schools have information on the music department section of the website for prospective students). I think Ivy is going to be tough with that grade point unless maybe you are at 2200. Emory is more possible. A few schools I noticed that musicians seem to pursue-----Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Williams, Rice, University of Rochester, Oberlin.</p>

<p>kabbow---what do you want to study? and do you plan on continuing to play the violin? if so, how accomplished do you want your orchestra-mates to be?</p>

<p>I do not necessarily want to pursue music as a degree, rather science. With that being said I know that I will be very frustrated in an orchestra or chamber music ensemble that is not fairly high level. This is why certain schools, like Yale are so appealing. I can play with high level musicians but not be locked into a conservatory type situation like at Northwestern or Rice. These programs are training grounds to become a professional musician. So , what I'm looking for is very high level music where I don't have to be locked into a B.M.</p>

<p>I think anything that you've pursued and done really well at can only make your application stronger. Will you also do your Common App essay on music? A great essay about music combined with your accomplishments would help set you apart.</p>

<p>Read the whole thing:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/738525-how-strong-music-ec.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/738525-how-strong-music-ec.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Depends on which Ivy. Moreso some than others. Doubt it will sway it much, as there are plenty of conservatory level fiddlers in the applicant pool at Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Columbia with better stats. You may well be disappointed with the overall music at the other Ivys if you are accustomed to the level you indicate. Maybe help at Stanford, and might be an in at Emory but if you are serious about continuing at a high level, I would be very cognizant of musical peer level. Many high level academic institutions may take you in a heartbeat but you may well wish you had gone elsewhere musically. Have you considered Bard, or Oberlin, two of the best for academics and high level talent NOT necessarily pursuing BM's. </p>

<p>Lots of info on academics and music combo pursuits in the music forum Music</a> Major - College Confidential. It's worth your time to ask there.</p>

<p>First:</p>

<p>Decide now if you want to be a professional violinist and therefore major in violin performance or not. Only the very, very best make it in that business and its wickedly competitive and even people seated in professional regional orchestras professionally make a pittance and have to supplement their incomes with a "real job". Fact. One in a million make it to the bigtime. And they ALL went to prestigious conservatories like Berkeley School of Music, Julliard School of Music, Peabody Conservatory, Curtiss School of Music or the Oberlin Conservatory. If they went to an undergrad school, they then did a Masters in Performance at a Conservatory. </p>

<p>Kids who major in performance at "normal" colleges, even double major in Economics or Accounting or Business or Liberal Arts to get a job. Further, music majors suffer from severe grade deflation because professors want to give the a dose of reality in the world of music. Be prepared. </p>

<p>Many kids of your stature often play in a prestigious college orchestra for a hobby and to vent their feelings and frustrations or a distraction from the ordinary stuff. </p>

<p>COngratulations on your accomplishments. But the truth is, colleges get inundated with applications from kids with ALL STATE honors in Orchestra, particularly in violin performance. </p>

<p>Not dissuading you, only advising the truth and preparing you for reality. My recommendation? Unless you are prepared to go the Conservatory route and then being prepared for the wicked competition in the professional world and the starving artist lifestyle, then continue playing in college on a hobby level, major in something you like but which will get you a decent paying day job, and then perhaps hook up with a small community orchestra to play with later. Or get a masters degree in performance after you have a degree in something that can pay the bills. </p>

<p>The Arts are a gift. But its a crowded field of starving artists. Be warned.</p>

<p>Violadad: I have a friend whose daughter was allstate violinist, principal in two youth orchestras (concertmaster/mistress) and highly talented. Emory accepted her on her stats but offered her NOTHING for music and she indicated a desire to double major in music and accounting and auditioned for their orchestra. She went to Furman who then gave her a half ride for a music scholarship. Furman has a wonderful orchestra and a strong program. But she has learned her lesson and will seek her Masters in Accounting for graduate studies and leave the violin at home. The brutal truth and often not well known is that many times the Youth Orchestras and High School Orchestras are many times superior to what colleges have in music. Some exceptions include Furman and Davidson. But then those kids MUST have a double major or head off to a Conservatory to get any chance or recognition of making it in the professional music world. </p>

<p>For many kids, its a tearful separation anxiety thingie too.....they become attached to their instruments and its like a death in the family when they go to college. (Then again, for kids whose parents forced them, its a welcome relief! LOL). </p>

<p>IN short, if you are THAT good and really want to continue professional training, then go to a Conservatory like Oberlin Conservatory or Peabody or Curtiss or Berkeley or Julliard.</p>

<p>ghostbuster, Your comments to me seemed to indicate that you are at odds with what I offered the OP as a response. Perhaps I misinterpret. For the record, my son is conservatory trained, performing professionally with a tenured chair (and a "real" job). I know the realities. That's the reason I spend time on this forum.</p>

<p>It is important that these points you address be brought to fore for anyone who is considering an undergrad music path as a degree pursuit. For those who are, I suggest this <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/460187-how-many-music-voice-performance-majors-find-jobs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/460187-how-many-music-voice-performance-majors-find-jobs.html&lt;/a> </p>

<p>My interpretation of "state and national recognition" may well not be all state selection; the OP was not specific in identifying the awards. Many of the "best", in particular on violin, may deem all-state not a high enough peer level and choose not to be "distracted" and do not participate. All state can well be a non sequitur in a serious discussion about high level (defined as competitive within a conservatory level audition pool) particularly on violin. </p>

<p>Unless a student has studied with an instructor with a track record of placing talent in conservatory level programs, or has had regional/national/international competition experience, or repeated success in audition based intensives, or exposure to and counsel of performing professionals, the reality is that most don't have a clue when it comes to assessing their ability on a highly competitive instrument.</p>

<p>Most also don't have a clue when it comes to assessing a college level music program and the variations both musically and academically, either as professional preparation or avocational pursuit. For those interested I suggest they start here <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Might as well point out as well that NONE of the Ivys offer an undergrad performance degree; at best you might get a performance concentration within the context of a liberal arts/BA degree curriculum. The Ivy music programs are routed in the academics of music: theory, history, musicology,and in some cases composition and can be excellent choices for those wishing to go on to masters and beyond pursuit in those fields. Options as to private instruction, ensembles, peer quality and instrumental depth vary widely among these institutions.</p>

<p>The thread I linked in post #6 is an in depth discussion of how music at a HIGH level is viewed as an admission factor at highly selective academic institutions. It contains insights, perspectives and the realities of what the level of academic admittance competition within the context of the question posed by the OP. There are also a number of links within that address specific schools and programs, and musical supplements. I also directed the OP to the pertinent CC forum for expertise and advice in selecting a number of music options, be they fpr professional prep or avocational pursuit. I'm more than happy to pull specific links within that forum should the OP request.</p>

<p>But then my son plays the viola. What can I know? ;)</p>

<p>St. Olaf has a very fine orchestra and does not require you to be a music major to partipate. You might also want to look at Lawrence which has a conservatory but again, you don't need to be in the conservatory to play in the orchestra. Also, University of Rochester attracts quite a few music folks due to Eastman. You wouldn't be able to play in the Eastman orchestra but there is an orchestra for non-Eastman students. Also, you can take lessons from a grad student or adjunct professor. Some of them are quite good.</p>