How good are my chances of getting into top-tier schools and what can I do?

I am going to be going into Junior year once school starts. Currently, I am planning to take 5 AP’s this year and expect to do well in them. I am one of the leaders of a volunteer club called Interact and am also varsity on the track team. So far, the only SAT-related test that I’ve taken is the SAT Subject Test for Math 2. My score on that was a 760. I’m in classes for the main SAT and hoping for a 1600. So, what are my chances of getting into stuff like Stanford or UPenn? And what can I do to increase my chances?

It sounds like you’re on a great track, but it’s super hard to tell you your chances when all of your scores are just projections. Everyone who studies expects to do well on APs and is hoping for a perfect SAT score, but until your actual scores are in, any current chances we give you here aren’t really relevant. As far as what you can do to increase your chances, make sure that your leadership in Interact has tangible results that you can talk about and in which you can demonstrate your investment. That and varsity track are great extracurriculars, but you may want to round out your profile with some other activities or achievements as well. The more unconventional, the better. Also make sure you start showing demonstrated interest by doing college visits, attending info sessions, and talking with admissions officers.

You need to see how you actually do on the APs, and also how you actually do on the SAT. How are your grades up to now?

My grades up to now were always A’s in the upper range. In addition to that, I was one class ahead in math, taking Pre-calc instead of Algebra II last year. All of my classes were honors except for language arts and global history, which were categorized as “Gifted”. Gifted where I live is just a different curriculum for students that are deemed by the state to need extra, enriching education outside of the standard school curriculum