How hard is it to get an A+ in science classes?

<p>Hi, I just finished my first semester and I was wondering how difficult it is to get A+'s in science classes. For example, in chem 2070, with 800/900 students and a mean of B-, how many would get A's and A+'s? Thanks.</p>

<p>It depends on the class. Some classes make it fairly possible to get an A+ (an example would be Microbio or math 1710 stats), some classes make it difficult (you either have to be 2 or more std. dev above the mean or have over 100 in the class or literally be the top student in the class) while in some classes the professor just does not hand out A+'s. </p>

<p>I think I ended up with around 6 A+'s in science classes in my 4 years at Cornell. Most of the time, I had to be near darn perfect.</p>

<p>On the prelims in Chem2070, the sd was always very high (about 13%) so you would have to get 26% above the mean to get an A+, no easy task in 2070. I've only seen the stats for the prelims, not for the final or the entire class (they haven't given them to us) but on each prelim I think one would have had to get about 95% to have the amount of points necessary for an A+, and I think only a handful of people did. Now, if you got As or A-s on the prelims and the final and you did perfectly in the homeworks and labs, you might come out with an A+, so the number of people getting an A+ in the course may be a little higher than on the prelims. And I have no idea what they did to calculate the curve for the class. But I doubt many people got an A+ in Chem2070.</p>

<p>It's generally really difficult to get an A+ in a science class. Although, I found an "A+" to be more attainable during my junior and senior year when I started to take 4000 level science classes.</p>

<p>As nesh said, A+s are always difficult to achieve but as you move away from the 2000 level weeder courses, and into the 10-15 person 4000-level electives, they become relatively easy (easier).</p>

<p>ok thanks. That makes sense.</p>