How important is GPA? (Chances)

<p>Hispanic male (parents immigrated from Colombia)
Public school in Oklahoma, ~ 45/960
SATI: Taking on Nov. 4th. Expecting around 2200
ACT: 34
AP scores: USH: 4, Chem 3, Psych: 4, Eng. Lang: 3
GPA: 3.47 unweighted, 4.6 weighted</p>

<p>Freshman:
Honors Geometry - A, B
Oklahoma History - A, A
Pre-AP (Honors) Bio. - B, B
Pre-AP English - B, B
Spanish I - A, A
Comp. Applications II - A, A</p>

<p>Sophomore:
Honors Algebra 2 - B, B
Pre-AP English - A, B
Pre-AP Chemistry - B, B
AP US History - B, B
Spanish II - A, B
Jazz Band - A, A</p>

<p>Junior:
AP Eng. Lang - B, A
Honors Pre-Calculus - B, B
AP Chemistry - B, A
AP Psychology - B, A
Pre-AP World History - A, B
Jazz Band - A, A</p>

<p>Senior:
AP Calculus BC
AP English Lit.
AP Computer Science A
AP Physics B (C is not offered)
AP Music Theory
Adv. (Honors) Physiology</p>

<p>ECs: not great...:(
Ultimate Frisbee (9-12), co-captain junior and senior years
Jazz Band
Volunteer at Hospital (just started..)
Drug Free Youth (9-12)
National Honors Society (9-12)
Tri-M (12)
Environmental Club (12)
Mu-Alpha Theta (12)</p>

<p>Awards: National Hispanic Honorable Mention (3.47 GPA doesn't round to 3.5, i guess), AP Scholar</p>

<p>Recs: Will be glowing, from physics and english teachers
Essay: My english teacher believes I'm one of the best writers of the class.</p>

<p>I really didn't care very much at the beginning of high school. I had no clue what I wanted to do after high school, but second semester of junior year I really matured a lot. This year I will have straight A's, easily.</p>

<p>so. does my GPA/terrible EC's kill my chances at WashU? if so, any suggestions for an alternate school? (biomedical engineering major)</p>

<p>I think being Hispanic raises your chances a bit...and what about SAT II's?</p>

<p>I think you have a pretty good chance because you're grades and standardized test scores are solid, you're male, and you contribute to diversity through your ethnic background and coming from Oklahoma. I don't usually reply to chances threads, but you are frowning about your ECs and I wanted to comment that my son's ECs were also on the light side. He did jazz band for four years, and Academic Quiz Team and some minor outside activities; he really wasn't much of a joiner at high school and didn't knock himself out doing community service. He had high grades, was an NMF, his teachers liked him because he was an active participant in class, and he was able to convey to the ad com that WashU was a good fit for him. Visit, show interest, do research on their programs and be able to talk in an interview about why the college suits you, and I think you have a good shot RD, probably even better ED.</p>

<p>Why are you taking the SAT when your ACT equivilent (1500 - 1550) is higher than what you expect on the SAT (1450 - 1500)?</p>

<p>well, i'm expecting a 2200, but i'm hoping for as close to perfect as possible.</p>

<p>OK, just wondering because a 34 is extremely good. But if you have the time to take the SAT, it would give you the option of which to send. Good luck!</p>

<p>bump bump.</p>

<p>also: how strong is WU's biomedical engineering program?</p>

<p>WU's biomedical engineering is perhaps one of the three or four best in the country...however the workload is ridiculous. I know a few BME's whom I see so infrequently because they are always studying. It's a great program, but be prepared to work!</p>