How important is it to have a "back-up" plan?

<p>Right now I have sent my application in for a highly selective D3 in the NESCAC. This was after going on overnight visits at my top 3 choices and finally deciding on one. However, this is a direct quote from the coach:</p>

<p>"Essentially, it's going to be very close. It will depend on your first quarter grades, etc etc. And while I can't guarantee anything, your combination of <strong><em>, _</em></strong> and ____ along with a top recruiting submission from me to admissions, makes you a compelling candidate."</p>

<p>I went through the pre-read and everything, but this email doesn't make me so assured. I have talked to the other coaches regarding ED2, but they cannot guarantee full support. My question is, should I be branching out to other options as well? How often do recruits get rejected from their ED1 choices? </p>

<p>I told other coaches that I had committed to apply to choice #1 a while back. Should I try to engage these coaches again, or am I just being paranoid?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help, and hopefully this helps out some other people in my situation.</p>

<p>Anchser,</p>

<p>If “fit” is important to you then I think a back-up plan is everything. You worked hard in the classroom and on the baseball field, you should be the one choosing the school not the other way around…is the way I look at it.</p>

<p>My oldest son was recruited (baseball) across D1, Ivy and D3 NESCAC schools. When he verbally committed to an Ivy, we informed the other coaches of the commitment. Most coaches sent a note back. He followed up with those coaches telling them that he could be in touch if things didn’t work out at his first choice. Almost all coaches sent a note back wishing him well and to let them know if it didn’t work out. This is how the game is played, and you shouldn’t feel uncomfortable. To answer your question…yes, I would branch out. I would contact new coaches (discreetly), and I would re-contact the coaches you’ve already started a dialogue with. </p>

<p>Hopefully, you are being paranoid ;-). However, there is a lot to this process that is out of your control. It is never a bad idea to have a back-up plan with this or anything else. You have 4-6 weeks before you find out about your ED application and situation. I know what it was like to wait that long for an answer. We’re going through the same ED exercise with my middle son right now. It has been 3 years since we went through this the first time and it hasn’t gotten easier. Dec 15 is our target. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.</p>

<p>^^^^ It’s always difficult to comment favorably on someone with “fenway” in their name :wink: … but that seems spot on.</p>

<p>Anscher, I hope you’re being paranoid, too!</p>

<p>My d is also applying ED to a highly selective D3 school. She is #1 on the coach’s list, has a 3.99, AP scores of 5, a good preread, etc. And yet we are STILL worried that she won’t get in and yes, she does have a backup plan. I think everyone ought to have a backup plan. In fact, she’s retaking the SAT today, as part of her backup plan!</p>

<p>Your backup plan is going to vary according to your taste for risk, your sport, whether you want d3 versus d1/d2, etc. Do I recall you mentioning elsewhere that you have a #2 option that is easier to get into? My d has one of those…she would be happy to go there, but I think she will bypass ED2 and just apply RD to a range of schools, including that #2 option, because for RD she will also apply to schools where she was not strong enough to be recruited as an athlete but could absolutely walk on. Her state school is EA so she will apply there also this month.</p>

<p>If you have a #2 that’s less selective and you would be okay going there, then absolutely touch base with the coach. Also D is taking the SAT again to improve her stats just in case she has to do RD, since one of the coaches told her he can put students in the A band (that one is NESCAC) directly onto the list and admissions will likely admit them without any kind of slot needed. So yes, she is keeping in touch with him! But she does have the #2 choice in case her SAT score doesn’t budge.</p>

<p>I guess there are even backups for the backups. I hope you, she, and everyone else applying d3 doesn’t have to resort to any backups, but if you value the ability to choose, I think you need to have them.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the replies guys!</p>

<p>Fenway, you are very right that it is stressful! From subsequent emails and a phone call, I have more confidence in terms of admissions, but the nervousness won’t go away until the acceptance comes!</p>

<p>LivesinHobbiton, thank you for the advice as well. I have now talked to the #2 coach, and he assured me that support throughout ED2 would be “almost a sure thing”, and that if I decided to apply there then he would be very confident about admissions. This school is also in the NESCAC, just not as selective as #1.</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone, and I will definitely keep everyone posted.</p>

<p>!!!very!!!</p>

<p>Anscher, from what you’ve been told by the coach, if your “first quarter grades etc. etc.” are strong, then your chances sound good. But that was very smart of you to to talk to #2 coach about ED2.</p>