How important is the prestige of an undergrad school in applying to a grad school?

<p>I currently attend Temple University majoring in Mechanical Engineering and I hope to attend a good to great grad school for Aerospace Engineering. I’m only done with 3 semesters now, one of which I did at a nearby Pitt branch campus so I could save some money before ultimately deciding where I wanted to graduate from. I only had a 3.2 at the PSU branch campus but Have a 3.55 average during my 2 semesters at Temple. My GPA is not very impressive so far but I’m settled and ready to work towards graduating with a 3.7+. I plan to do well on the GRE as I did good on the SAT. I’m a member of a few clubs and hope to be doing research work over the next couple years.</p>

<p>My top choice schools are Virginia, Virginia Tech, U of Maryland (preferred), and PSU. This might change if I decide that I’ll be comfortable with going a considerable distance but these are likely the only schools I’ll apply to.</p>

<p>Knowing that Temple Engineering isn’t highly regarded, what are my chances that I would be accepted to a good graduate program if I complete my goals?</p>

<p>Good test scores, good grades, and good recommentations will help you get where you want to go.</p>

<p>Talk with your department faculty about their success placing students into AE grad programs. They should have the best real-world information relevant to your situation. And +1 on hikid’s comments.</p>

<p>One thing to consider is to do summer research at a more highly regarded university. At the very least, it could help you get into the university you spent the summer because you will be a known quantity to them.</p>

<p>I know people who went to colleges a lot less prestigous than Temple and got into Georgetown Law School, etc.</p>

<p>The LSAT and MCAT are highly regarded by law schools and medical schools and are great equalizers. Unfortunately, there isn’t an equivalent test for engineering that people typically take. The GRE doesn’t tell you a whole lot and isn’t as helpful.</p>

<p>There is a FE/EIT exam that you can show knowledge in your major. (google it) It might not be worth it, though.</p>