How is the Compsci here?

<p>I've just received my acceptance into the Clark school of Engineering for EE, but since I've applied my interest has swayed into computer science, as it just seems more interesting than engineering does. I'm taking engineering courses at my high school right now (PLTW), and it's not too exciting to be honest.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if the Compsci department is inside the engineering school, but it looks like it isn't. What would I have to do to switch over to the Computer science program?</p>

<p>Also, I'd love to have some feedback from current Compsci majors. Are the courses mathematical and theoretical, or is the curriculum more of a IT / business type thing?</p>

<p>(First post by the way)</p>

<p>I'm in high school so take this with a grain of salt, but the comp sci program is highly regarded at UMD (14th in the nation). The courses are definitely going to be mathematical and theoretical, along with programming classes. IT/Business isn't really related to the comp sci major at UMD. The major is not inside the engineering school, and I think it's pretty easy to switch out of Clark. Make sure to get some background on comp sci before jumping into it and leaving Clark, because it's definitely not for everybody. Generally, I've heard that engineering get's more exciting over time and comp sci get's more theoretical and less hands-on over time. Good luck.</p>

<p>(I'm a Clark School alumnus (2009) and grad student.)</p>

<p>CS is not within the engineering school, as you suspected. However, within the Electrical and Computer Engineering department along with EE is the "CE" (Computer Engineering) program. This degree track can't be better described than as a mix of EE and CS. Basically, CEs at UMD take half EE courses and half CS courses. You take the CS courses alongside CS students, and the EE courses alongside EE students. Toward the end of the degree, you have the flexibility when choosing electives to lean strongly toward EE or CS.</p>

<p>Since I did CE as an undergrad, I can try to comment on the CS classes. Drummerdawg is right: a CS degree from most Universities will have very little to do with business/IT. At UMD, there seems to be two distinct types of CS classes: in one you will do lots of programming projects, and in the other you will do lots of math and theory.</p>

<p>I haven't ever posted here before, but when I saw your post on a google search result I had to post and mention the CE program! Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have questions.</p>

<p>I'm a CS major, and the courses are pretty mixed between programming and math for the first 2 years, then you have a bunch of electives to choose from, which is nice. I'm only a sophomore but I would have to say CS classes are pretty good here, the professors teach pretty well and it's not too hard. I have some friends who are doing CE and their classes look harder than mine lol.</p>

<p>CS and Math double major here. CS is in the Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences School (very easy to switch into from Clark). Remember though that all majors like programmers! If you want to switch purely because you want to program, think carefully! Not saying there is anything wrong with comp sci people who like to program though... </p>

<p>I'd say classes are probably 70% coding and 30% theory and are usually all one or all the other. Very little business, but there is some (CMSC435 - Software Engineering comes to mind). If you have any other questions feel free to ask and welcome to college confidential!</p>