How large of a factor does class rank play?!?

<p>I am a senior who attends a moderately competitive school in CA.</p>

<p>My class in particular has excelled greatly in academics. So much so that the average top 10% gpa cut off over the past years (which was 3.8 flat) was blown out of the water and my GC estimates that it now rests at 3.85. My school normally sends a combined total of maybe three students to Ivys and approximately 5 or so students to top ranked privates. Already my class alone has seen three students get into Caltech, three students get into Northwestern and two students get into Stanford. </p>

<p>My GPA is a 3.82 which would fall short of this top 10% cut off and looking at the sites for colleges which I plan on applying to ( wustl, u chicago, carnegie mellon, univ. southern california and others at this level) nearly 80-90% of students are in the top 10% of their High school class. Even though my GPA is generally in the top 25% of accepted students for these schools, their top ten percent statistics say that nearly 90% of their students were in the top ten percent of their high school. </p>

<p>Due to the fact that my school only recently increased in competitiveness (though it does have a reputation for being tough) how badly will my status of not being in the top ten reflect on my application? Are there certain schools that will simply not take me because I would ruin their Top 10% numeric? How much harder will it be for me to get into the schools I listed above because I am not in the top ten percent?</p>

<p>Thanks...Im just another worried kid XD</p>

<p>Anyone out there with some insight?</p>

<p>Bump.. Same question.</p>

<p>Rank is very important to top schools. Many admits will be well within the top 5% of their graduating class.</p>

<p>ponder --</p>

<p>The very selective Unis to which you are applying will be familiar with your school. They will have a general sense of the rigor and competitiveness. They will base their impression of your transcript on this background information. Doesn't seem from what you've shared that the impression will be very strong... sorry to say that. The schools you listed would be more accostomed to taking kids from the top 3-4% of the graduating class, not just top 10% (unless your SATs are 2300+)</p>

<p>I hope you are also applying to several UCs, as well as private colleges ranked 30-60 like Miami, Tulane, Pepperdine, SMU, Boston U, etc.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you. Trust that where you are admitted are the places you will thrive the most.</p>