How make-or-break are SAT II scores?

<p>My first "round" of SAT II scores included 760 Writing, 780 Spanish, and 670 US History. Today I retook the Writing just for the hell of it since it doesn't require any studying, and also took Math IIc. I totally messed up and will be lucky to get ~600. If all my other stats are solid, should that "snafu" matter?</p>

<p>I just got back from taking mine... hopefully I did well.</p>

<p>Your scores look fine... although you probobly should have tried IC instead of IIC.</p>

<p>Don't worry ColumbiaDreamin, there is usually a REALLY generous curve for IIC...</p>

<p>yea for math IIc you can usually get 7 or 8 wrong and still wind up with an 800</p>

<p>why did you retake a 760 writing? there's not that much room for improvement -_-</p>

<p>I skipped 9 and missed probably 4-6 on the IIC and ended up with a 690. So dont worry. I had no prep and hadn't had a precalc class in a year and half, and didn't even have a calculator (had to borrow one).</p>

<p>I thought retaking a 760 would look bad anyway, even if you go up, cuz it just seems like you are a grade-grubber and have nothing better to do...That's why I'm not retaking US History (760, also)</p>

<p>hopefully they can make as much as they can break</p>

<p>750+ on 3 of them could be a big boost. Mediocre Scores, like 650ish on the harder SAT 2's, wouldn't look so bad. Really bad scores could hurt though. Your scores are decent.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a friend who's brother goes to Columbia, and he asked to see his admissions evaluation (they are a matter of public record after you are admitted) and he told her that the SAT IIs were the least important factor in admissions. Based on the fact that Columbia doesn't emphasize SAT IIs and the fact that your scores as a whole are more than fine, I wouldn't worry.</p>