How many Medical Schools will I not be able to get into if I use AP credits?

I’m entering as a college Freshman in the fall, majoring in biology and doing pre-med. I know that some medical schools take AP credits and some don’t. Many have AP credit policies in between those two extremes and some have AP policies that are unclear. I’m considering both my math and english classes that I should take in college for med school. I got a 5 on AP calc AB so get credit for calc 1. This meets the core math requirement for my major. I got a 3 on AP Lang so get credit for comp 1. However, I’m considering retaking one or both of them based on if it denies me choices to a large amount of medical schools. Also, I would rather retake them over taking higher levels because the grade will be easier. In math, I also received a stats credit for my 4 on AP stats and am taking another statistics class regardless. In English, I need to take comp 2. Some colleges require a Calc class specifically and/or some colleges require a full year of english. For those colleges, if they also do not take my AP credits, I won’t be able to get in. My question is, how much will this effect me (in terms of med schools i can apply for) if I choose to use both credits or will one make more impact than the other? Thanks for your time! Sorry for the bad grammer, abbreviations, and capitalization. I just got back from a 2 full days orientation filled with activities but I wanted to post this now because the sooner I can decide my classes the better.

You need to take 2 semesters of English or other writing intensive courses. Many medical schools will not accept AP credits for English and those that do will not accept an AP score of 3 as fulfilling English requirements.

You should consult MSAR and CIB and the admission webpages of all your in-state medical schools to see what their policies are regarding AP credits. In many cases, having AP credit means you’re expected to take a higher level course in the same department in order to fulfill your 2 semesters of _____ requirement.

MSAR costs $30 and is available at AMCAS. (You can also probably get access thru your college pre-med advising office.)
CIB is free and available here: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_cib.pdf?sfvrsn=14

Be aware that admission policies and required coursework can do and do change–often with no advanced notice-- and that what is acceptable now may not be when it comes time for you to apply. (For example, Ohio State added a new required class midway thru the application cycle 2 years ago.)

You may also want to consider whether it's advantageous to retake Calc1 for the easy grade to help boost your GPA. 

You also need to be considering what your Plan B is. Every year 60% of med school applicants fail to get a single acceptance into any medical school. Every pre-med needs a Plan B. What will be your fall back career if don't get into med school? Does that require additional math? 

Contact adcoms of the Med. Schools on your list. They are the only ones who can answer your question. They are very quick and helpful with their responses. Do not waste your time asking others outside of these specific Med. Schools

I agree with MDP.

However, most, if not all applicants apply to more than 10, some times up to 30+, schools. The common denominator is that do not count on AP classes in HS as part of medical school application requirements. Just complete the required courses in college, don’t cut corners. If the AP class is recognized in the college, take a more advanced course to replace that for med school requirements. You will earn the respect from the adcoms.

I would say that contacting 2 adcoms or 30 is about the same. It would take few more minutes of your time, say additional 30 min,. Contact as many as you wish or contact few to get your sample of answers and make an informed guess about the other Med. Schools.
In addition, APs are not equal. Unless you are personally interested, there is no reason to spend more time in college taking Math + English classes as a pre-med . One thing is basically a must is Stats. If you did not have HS Stats, take it, strongly recommend. But wasting precious time reading novels in English class (again, unless you personally interested, and pursuing your personal interests in UG is very important) when you had full or partial AP credit, why? The same goes for math (but have Stats, preferably in college). The only reason for taking English and Math at college when you have full AP credits would be that some Med. Schools do not accept AP credits for these classes.
The APs for science classes is all different story and may be different not only for different Med. Schools but also may be taught differently depending on the UG program that you are in. Some intro science classes go thru AP material in the first 2 weeks and then they move on to a higher level material. Do you really want to be left behind by not taking such class or you feel confident that you mysteriously catch up on your own in the next level class? Talk to pre-med advisor. While it may make sense to skip an intro class in some programs, at other places skipping such class may put your college GPA in jeopardy.

You will hear different advice on CC as everybody has different background, even a specific HS may make a difference. Spend time gathering the information about YOUR program at college, requirements of the Med. Schools on YOUR list and keep in mind YOUR own background in all required classes that YOU obtained at YOUR HS.

<<<<
I know that some medical schools take AP credits and some don’t.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there’s some confusion going on.

I don’t know of any med schools that just let you use AP credits instead of ever taking college bio, chem, math, and physics classes.

Don’t all med schools let you use AP credits to “place” into higher BCMP classes?

Since there are univs out there that won’t let you retake BCMP classes if you have AP, and those schools require you to move onto the next level, I find it hard to believe that there are med schools that won’t accept that.

What I mean is…I’ve never heard anyone say, "oh, if you go to undergrad X and you have AP sciences on your testing records, you’ll not be able to go to A, B, C med schools because this undergrad requires you to place into the next higher level BCMP course ".

There’s many of them. (including some big names) Check the list for straight "Y"s or "NR"s

http://oaa.rice.edu/files/2014/07/AP-Credit-Allopathic-Medicine-Summer-2014-FINAL.pdf

@plumazul That link isn’t working…do you have another?

edited…
http://students.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/Students/Academic_Advising/AP%20Credit%20-%20Allopathic%20Medicine.pdf

I don’t know how accurate that list is. My son’s med school is on that list and that list indicates that AP credits satisfy (with no *)…yet the actual SOM website says that upper division courses are needed to satisfy if using AP credits.

Most med schools will allow you to use AP calculus credit to count towards the math requirement. However, fairly few med schools allow students to use AP science credits to completely get out of chem/physics/bio. I’ve only seen ones that will accept AP science credit provided that higher level classes are taken in addition to the AP credit. For example, you can get out of introductory bio using AP bio, but then you would still have to take a year of molecular and cell bio.

@mom2collegekids I would guess not very accurate given that it is 3 years old, especially as the pre-med requirements have changed substantially over the past few years with the new coursework + new MCAT

I’m guessing that it wasn’t accurate 3 years ago, either. My son applied 3 years ago and he had to take the “higher” level sciences because he used his AP credits.

Except for a med school like that one that wants more humanities students, I can’t imagine any US MD school accepting a student who ONLY took AP bio, AP Chem, AP Physics, AP Calc, AP English, college ochem and was a History major.

I can think of only 1 school that requested calculus to be the equivalent of Calc II, which can easily be solved by taking one more class in college.

It is a bit premature for you to plan all this. You need a GPA, MCAT score etc to determine which schools you might even be able to apply to in order to figure out whether they take your classes or not. It is common for people to make up classes in 4th year based on the colleges they are applying to make up what the college needs.

The other part you should look at is what your college leaves in as AP credits on your transcript.