<p>I can’t believe how many coffee places there are. Obviously some of you are going multiple times a day. How many times? How much are you spending at these places?</p>
<p>I just walked by a Peet’s. There was a line 5 deep at 9:00.</p>
<p>There is a Starbucks a couple of doors down from Peet’s. People there too. There is a Noah’s bagles a couple of doors down. Serves coffee. A couple of bakeries that serve coffee. All within 500 feet of each other.</p>
<p>Zero. Starbucks, Peets, Coffee Bean would all be bankrupt if it were for me. I have to have my coffee first thing in the morning. And I mean first. Before showering and dressing, getting in the car and going out. Not to mention the cost savings.</p>
<p>Back before I ran the FAFSA calculators when Happykid was in 9th grade, I was hitting the coffee shops three or four times each week. After I saw those scary numbers, my coffee shop stops immediately fell to once each week, and they’ve been continuing downward ever since.</p>
<p>Almost every day. I know I could live without it, but . . . I have gotten hooked on a routine of drop daughter off at school, stop and get a latte, go to the gym. There are three coffee places within just a five blocks of each other here – two Caribous about four blocks apart (one paired with a bagel place) and a Starbucks one more block away. I think what helps keep all these places open is that a lot of people now get their breakfast at a coffee shop. And also, many people hang out with their laptops there for hours, it is part of their lifestyle. My daughter likes to study at a Starbucks when she is on vacation. She would rather set her laptop up there than at home.</p>
<p>I’m with TatinG - have to have my coffee before I leave the house. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve ever been in a Starbucks or the like, since I don’t drink coffee except first thing in the morning.</p>
<p>Never, unless I’m traveling. I drink tea for the most part. One of our local coffee shops becomes a wine bar in the evenings, and I sometimes meet friends there.</p>
<p>Coffee shops do have more than coffee. Great teas, smoothies, matcha frappes, fresh lemonade,etc. Not to mention the sweet treats. </p>
<p>I think it’s absolutely true that people go there to multi-task. Breakfast and email. A coffee and a meeting. My daughter will use it like a library (she still uses libraries too) and enjoys going on the weekend with a good book and just zoning out for awhile.</p>
<p>I love coffee…strong dark coffee. My husband makes coffee every morning…with an extra cup or two. </p>
<p>I have friends who have stopped drinking coffee once they taste our brew. A few select friends like coffee that is so strong you can stand a teaspoon in the coffee. </p>
<p>I’ll go out for coffee once or twice a week. I always order their strongest brew with 2 or 3 shots of expresso. It is drinkable.</p>
<p>Knowing many people who work at coffee bars - independent and chain - the answer is 1 or 2. A bunch of regulars come in early and then in the PM. This can be at lunch or for an afternoon break. The rest of the traffic is almost all once a day. Some super users are in 3 or more times a day. A Starbucks asst manager pointed out a guy who comes in 5 to 10 times a day for coffee. Must be the jitteriest human being in creation.</p>
<p>I think Starbucks tracks this with their cards. They have the capability. But the stores don’t write notes about this AFAIK. (I’ve asked.) I know Peet’s here doesn’t. And the independents only seem to track things generally. I’m a data freak who was in shopping center development and management so I like to dig into how people operate. You can find info about how often people visit in various trade magazines so I find it kind of odd I don’t see stores actually doing this work. It’s a disconnect. They seem to rely on electronic reads and surveys.</p>
<p>I don’t buy coffee out everyday because I live way out in the country. I consider it my civic duty to keep buying lattes at my local, non-chain, coffee shop as often and for as long as I can afford it. I get at least 4 lattes a week from starbucks after recent news coverage on groups the organization supports.</p>
<p>Like ellebud I ask for double or trouble shots.</p>
<p>We also have noticed a spillover effect. If one coffee shop opens and becomes popular, then if another opens next to it, it will get business from the laptoppers looking for a place to set up because the first store is full.</p>
<p>I have free coffee and tea at work so no need to go out for it. I do buy coffee at Dunkin, McDonalds or Starbucks sometimes if I need a place to work or if I’m very tired and have a long drive ahead of me. I drink tap water at home and most other places and at work too.</p>