How much do teacher recs count?

<p>I have some very good teacher recommendations (one I've read, the others are very good according to my GC), and my counselor's rec is very nice too. How much will these count towards admission?</p>

<p>I think it depends a lot on the school and on the rest of your app -- teacher recs can explain problems in transcripts or potentially convince people that you're a wonderful student anyway. Of course that's only at schoo's with personalized admissions.</p>

<p>The smaller the school, the more they will count. Huge state schools mostly go by numbers.</p>

<p>teacher recs are supposed to give them a sense of your academic performance. The guidance counselor rec is what gives them insight on your personality, your interests, other misc information. The teacher rec is basically what you can offer to the academic community there, and sometimes to that specific field). I think eireann is right; it really does depends on your ap and the school that youre applying to. ONe thing is for sure, if they make you seem like just another student, you're more likely tobe deffered if your chances were ok and rejeted if you only had a slim chance. Have faith</p>

<p>some of the largest state schools (like the UC system) don't even accept recs. However for schools that do, consider them to be huge because they are what help separate between applicants all of which sound alike on paper (good GPA, test scores, good EC's, etc). Its the recs and your essays that make you stand out from the competition.</p>

<p>Harvard considers teacher recs to be huge. I think they weigh each separately and equally with counselor recs.</p>

<p>" The teacher rec is basically what you can offer to the academic community there, and sometimes to that specific field). I"</p>

<p>An excellent teacher's rec also will offer personality info and info about your EC interests. This is the kind of recc one can get if one has been taught by a teacher and also has been a strong member in a club the teacher advised.</p>

<p>In general, teachers' reccs will provide more info than will GC reccs because teachers are usually in a position to get to know students better than would a GC, who may just see the student for appointments related to college apps.</p>