How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

It helped that I joined the board back in 2003 before the conversion to the new board. I guess there weren’t as many anxious parents back then!

I’m 55. My brother, 57, semi-retired two years ago. My sister, 59, has said she might retire in a few years. Brother has a state pension; sister will have a city pension. I like my work but don’t like the stress. I’d like to retire sooner rather than later but there’s no way I’ll be able to do so, unless health issues force me to. My wealth, such as it is, is in my house, which I got in the divorce (three months ago); I only recently began working full time and haven’t built up nearly as much in cash retirement assets. So, yes, I’m kind of jealous of people of my age who can retire.

My FIL is 87 years old. He still jets around, working, and he loves it. Every now and then he sends us his itinerary, and it makes my head spin. He’s as likely to be leading a seminar in Africa, or India, or Aspen as anything else. His wife, slightly younger, just got her PhD.

DW is in her late 50s. She still works, and refuses to consider retirement. It’s not about the money; for all the complaining she does, she enjoys working.

I became a SAHD more than a decade ago, but I’m reluctant to call it being retired, except insofar as I no longer get a check from a 3rd party (other than the government). I’m 65. Now that my nest is empty, I want to figure out what’s next.

Three of my closest work friends have retired in the last couple of years, and two more will retire in May. I would like to retire this May as well, but need to keep working for the health insurance. (Yes, I know that with the ACA I could get coverage, but worry about how many insurers are leaving the state and what the future costs will be). Plus, I love my students, and I’m not sure what I would do to replace that energy without being around kids. DH retired/volunteered for lay-off last year.

So to answer the question, yes - seeing others retire has made me think more and more about it.

I just found out a guy I know from work recently retired at 56. He’ll have to take a reduced pension, but his wife was a teacher, so I wonder if she gets a pension and health benefits. I heard that he was able to do it by solidly investing in his 401K, some smart real estate investments and living frugally. He has a paid for house, vacation home, and a 40 foot boat. I was wondering why he did it, as he was senior enough to get really nice trips and is very fit and healthy.

Maybe it’s the same answer to the question of why dogs sleep all the time (because they can). :o3

I’m jealous!

Paid off another mortgage this week.

3 down, 6 to go. :smiley:

A couple more and retirement may be in the cards.

My youngest has started a real job and is moving into her own apartment at the end of the month. True empty nesting is here at last! :slight_smile:

I’m retired but have a mortgage. The rate is lower enough it makes no sense for me to pay it off faster than I am.

Congrats!

"6 to go. "
SIX?
pardon me but…yikes! :open_mouth:

I assume rental property?

Yes, notrichenough has a lot of rental property. Not a bunch of vacation homes!! It’s a good thing, however, getting rid of debt is even better.

Wow–9 is a lot of rentals! Congrats!

Yeah, somewhere back in the early pages of this thread are the gory details.

They are not all on rentals, two of them (now one) are on our house.

We are trying to pay down some of them early to free up the cash flow.

@anxiousmom - I know how you feel. I have a friend who retired several years ago at the age of 55. He and his wife travel a LOT (both locally and internationally), and I am very jealous of their freedom. Then another, younger friend (he’s 53) just retired, bought a new home in Florida (we’re cold-weather people) and a Tesla, and is on a three-week European vacation.

Yes, I hate some of these people. Mostly though I am just envious and a little wistful. I am hoping to retire in a few years, and I have a healthy retirement portfolio… but there are days when I wonder what am I doing wrong? Why are they in Belgium when I’m getting up at the crack of dawn and schlepping to work…again?

Ah, don’t hate them, scout! But join the rest of us who are envious and wistful!!

Not many of the folks in my circle are retiring (or thinking of it), though one professor at my old institution chose to retire and just work as a consultant. He was a spectacular institutional citizen and I think it just wore him out.

I’ve been thinking about the original question and I think the answers are $10 MM and I will only retire if/when I can no longer do the work I love doing . Before I thought $10 MM was the number but now I think it is $10MM in post-tax equivalent. Query: Does the how much include the value of residences (including primary residence)?

Regarding the work, I expect it will transform a bit as I’ve written earlier in the thread (less travel as last week I was in London for a 5 hour meeting and am now flying to Calgary for a 3 hour meeting with the senior exec team of a client but perhaps a a lot more will be able to be done electronically over time). I suppose I would stop working on corporate stuff if companies no longer would pay me to do it – but my firm has employees who can keep doing what they do without my performing substantive work. I expect to add more more pro bono work over time, but people would still have to want me. At the moment, I’m pretty well-known in my field and I’ve noticed in the last give years a change in recognition (people will rearrange their schedules to meet me if they learn I’m going to be in town where they wouldn’t have done that a few years ago and nothing really has changed so I don’t know what to make of it but won’t fight it). Of course, being well-known could always change.

@shawbridge, DW has experienced a profound change in the number of meetings that require physical presence. The videos are now HD, almost all participants are hooked up, and the software is pretty clever (for example, if it’s a large meeting, the split-screen generally stays with those who have recently spoken (and I think whoever has been designated a moderator)).

She travels 1/4 as much as she did just two years ago.

“At the moment, I’m pretty well-known in my field and I’ve noticed in the last give years a change in recognition (people will rearrange their schedules to meet me if they learn I’m going to be in town where they wouldn’t have done that a few years ago and nothing really has changed so I don’t know what to make of it but won’t fight it). Of course, being well-known could always change.”

Maybe they’re afraid you’re going to croak at any minute, so they’d better meet with you right away? :open_mouth:

Just kidding, I hope not! :smiley:

We are waiting to get the word, for sure, if H can travel more with the job or if we have to relocate. 5 years and a little until retirement. DD1 is setting a wedding date for 2017 perhaps with a church wedding planner meeting tomorrow. DH will be having the talk with future SIL… He is solid in many ways, but they have some issues to get ironed out.

Drawing some money out of retirement account (no penalty, we are old enough) to tide us over till January, and then we will see what the new year brings. Dress is under $2K. However when we see how much the rest of the wedding costs, will see if she wants to have the dress or maybe find something for less $$. They have pie in the sky ideas on a honeymoon, and I am really saying that won’t fit in their budget.

WHAT!!!???