H has one opportunity with future SIL with ‘the talk’. More to do with being head of household, and being sure career will be able to support W/family. Found out today that older brother and his wife went through a very financially challenging period when they were living on just his graduate monthly stipend until she could find a job there (and obviously little/no savings). Now both have pretty decent jobs and a baby.
Will find out today what the church wedding date will be.
I suspect DD will have ‘the dress’, but we want to have a nice enough reception. The dress is gorgeous but also modest - and more modest dresses are harder to find (this one is from Italy, so it has the modesty). DD is not a high maintenance gal by any stretch of the imagination. We probably will order extra of the sheer fabric for the veil to match nicely. The dress is important to DD.
DD has been with the church long enough that they waive what they would charge for facility use ($1500). Cathedral and reception hall (and we line up the caterer). DD will find out more details today. DD didn’t ask me to come, so I didn’t ask to be included with that meeting.
When DD mentioned a rehearsal dinner, I said, well we will see what the list is and how much the reception is going to cost. Certainly out of town guests, we will arrange something - but I believe this wedding is going to be a shared thing with pooling money. Two lavish events, I think no.
They wanted to go to Rome for a Papal Blessing for their honeymoon. They won’t have the $$ or prudently not use up savings, but I just planted the seed with DD on just how much the airline tickets will cost. H and I got a Papal Blessing certificate for a mile-stone anniversary. Yes, in person would be awesome, but money doesn’t grow on trees. H and I have never been to Rome, but DD has.
As others on this thread have said, we also had low cost on dresses for my wedding - mother was a professional seamstress - my dress fabric and veil headpiece, and the 4 bridesmaids’ dresses, total cost was $160 in 1978. The only bill my dad thought was high was for the flowers. We had a buffet dinner, dancing, etc - 300 people. Dinner per plate was a reasonable $10, reasonable for then too (we had the whole restaurant) - parents were friends with the restaurant owners. Parents also had open bar on the mini-reception before dinner (we had pictures after the wedding) which was a big hit with many (WI wedding/WI family and friends). Had a wonderful cake by local bakery, 5 tier - only 10 pieces and the top remained.
I do feel for parents in high cost areas. We will have a nice but reasonable cost wedding.
Paradigm shift in weddings just like for colleges today. One can find ways to have a wedding be reasonable cost-wise. It just depends what you want. We paid about $7K a year for their private HS tuition (I think now that is closer to $8K) - my friend in a high cost area paid double for her similar private HS tuition for her kids.