How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

I know, jym, who knows? Futures have plunged already.

I could buy wine stocks, that will be the first thing we go to and the last thing we give up!

Met with financial planner last week to solidify retirement date. She said we were fine a year ago to step off, but we had a punch list of things to fix/acquire before stopping the cash flow. After last night, I guess we’ll be hanging on a while longer.

I generally don’t hold individual stocks. DW’s bonuses are partially in 3-year vesting RSUs, so we have no choice. Ironically, those shares went up enough today to offset the losses in our index funds.

Not feeling optimistic, but it was the one humorous thing this morning.

Our biotech holdings are through the roof today, but do I feel any joy? No.

just put in a limit order on Amazon.
should have put it in last night but was in too much shock, but this company is going to continue to eat all US retailers lunch for the foreseeable future…

God I hope so, it’s the big kahuna in our stocks.

And the Dow ends UP by 257 points at closing. Crazy times.

I was pleasantly surprised at yesterday’s returns but am still anxious.
Regardless of your opinion about the President-elect, I think we need to acknowledge that this election result brings new uncertainties and risks to financial planning.

Several widely-held dividend stocks could be affected positively or negatively by his policies (or even his public comments). Repatriation of foreign earnings could be a big positive, punitive tariffs a big negative. If you depend more on savings than you do on current income, maybe it’s prudent to hold more cash than you usually do and diversify the rest as well as you can. Or … buy on the dips, if you can stomach the risks.

On balance, to feel comfortable, I’d say I need about 50% more for retirement than I thought I did a week ago. But ask me again after 4 years.

My dividend stocks are taking a hit over the past couple of days as interest rates rise with this election. Fortunately, I believe in total return not just dividends so I’m still doing quite well.

My portfolio value is going DOWN while the market goes up!!! Yep, too many dividend stocks and bonds. Well, I am still staying retired. Going to gut it out.

^Does that mean it’s time to buy bonds?

I’ve waited years to buy bonds. I think it is still too early. I’m waiting until early next year.

^ It’s ALWAYS time to buy bonds :slight_smile: (if it’s part of your Investment Plan).

Bonds have been good to me, until September or so, but I hold them as ballast and not for “making money.” Equities are for the “risk on” part of my portfolio. My “Intermediate Term Tax Exempt” fund has returned 3.3% annualized, for example, which is a good bit better than inflation.

It was not part of my plan as they have not done as well as my other investments.

Several posts on Bogleheads about recent shockingly high LTC premium increases.

If memory serves, last night was the first time I’ve had to do an actual sell/buy to rebalance equity/bond AA. I usually just use new money to keep me balanced.

What is LTC? Is that Long term care?

^^Apparently. If you have not bought a plan ages ago, forget about buying one now.

^^ yes, I apologize for not spelling it out. LTC = Long Term Care.

I forgot to put in the Long Term Care insurance link https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3112418#p3112418

“just put in a limit order on Amazon.
should have put it in last night but was in too much shock, but this company is going to continue to eat all US retailers lunch for the foreseeable future…”

Hmm, still think Amazon is a good stock, @menloparkmom? Seems like it has gone down, with people’s opinion of what could happen to tech stocks in this administration. Perhaps it’s just short term paranoia?