How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

Re: Amazon, smells like a buying opportunity to me.

yes I do! its gone down in the last week because of the rotation into beaten down stocks- banks, coal, etc, in reaction to the election and what investors think will happen under a new administration.

I think long term, and it is a fact that brick and mortar store’s sales are going down, while Amazon’s sales are going up 30% / year. That is not likely to change.
And dont forget their very profitable cloud computing area.
Just ask yourself- have you spent less time shopping at the mall in the few past years because of the hassle and have bought things more online instead?
if the answer is yes- you have your answer.

Thanks, menloparkmom! I’m looking for something to put a little money into and hang on to for awhile, but the market seems so crazy overpriced. I’ve always stayed away from Amazon because their P/E ratio is so high. And it’s still falling, I wonder how long the tech stocks are going to keep crashing.

rough ride on amazon! A good company doesn’t necessarily make a good stock to own.

Where’d @dstark go??

I’ve been wondering the same thing for awhile. I miss @dstark, his humor, and his observations and viewpoint.

@busdriver11 – I am wondering the same: “And it’s still falling, I wonder how long the tech stocks are going to keep crashing.”

As I watch my Google holdings drop by the day…

I also own FANG stocks. When everyone says to sell, that’s when you buy if you believe the companies have good management. If you are buying AMZN in the 700’s , why won’t you buy it when it’s on sale in the 600’s or 500’s?

I too want to know what happened to @dstark. Hope he’s ok.

Me too. Hopefully he’s way too busy and having too much fun to be online.

Hope @dstark is OK.

@busdriver11 Well, did you buy those tech stocks like google and amazon?

Yes, @doschicos. I bought three whole share of Amazon. Yippee, my account is up $42 already, I should sell!

Hey, if you use a low commission broker, you are in the money!! :slight_smile:

Ah, actually they charge me zero, so I’m right in there!

Amazon is 1.47% of Vangard’s Total Stock Market index fund. I’m good :slight_smile:

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=VTI

We finally gave up and sold Chipotle.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my retirement funds. I’m maybe 35% in cash (actually it’s a high quality bond fund that pays at least 2% dividends), but I call it cash.

Just read an article about what companies will do with their overseas repatriated money, and it sounds like the bulk of it will go to stock buybacks. Not capital investment, dividends, hiring new employees or raises, but stock buybacks. Apparently they are highly motivated to pay those CEO bonuses paid based on stock prices, and raise the stock prices. Makes me feel rather ill, however, it also makes me wonder if stocks will go through the roof, so maybe I should get onboard. Any opinions?

I would think to a large extent buybacks won’t affect the price much, because a giant cash hoard should already be baked into the price.

If you have cash equal to 10% of your market cap, and you use it to buy back 10% of your shares, the value of the remaining shares will be unchanged.

Maybe there’s a bonus because future profit is divided over a smaller number. But a lot of that cash will go to taxes, which provides negative shareholder value.

What has happened historically in share buybacks?

I think they are talking about an extremely low tax rate to convince companies to repatriate the money, and I haven’t read about restrictions like in 2003, where they were supposedly required to make capital investments with it.

Historically, I believe, it increases the stock price, at least in the near term, as investors perceive value.