Gently used?
This kills me. Somehow, manufacturers think big = fancy. Well, there is a market segment that does not need “fancy” but would like the space. Grrrr…
Or vice versa, fancy not big. It’s the same for houses. It’s hard to find a house in good taste without getting too big.
Assuming they know whether its a powerboat or sailboat, the first question everyone will ask when you say you bought a boat is how big is it. Not what make. Or anything about the quality of it. Pretty sure there have been books written on society’s preoccupation with size. 
ESPlanner.com has a new web-based product for those of you who are interested in consumption smoothing, but for one reason or another didn’t want to use ESPlanner (no Windows machine, too much hassle, etc.). From what I understand, it includes the software for MaximizeMySocialSecurity in the price.
https://maxifiplanner.com/features
I haven’t bought it myself, but I’m considering it to see how the reports differ. So, I can’t directly endorse it, but the two other products from the company that I’ve used have been worth the price and very informative.
Just talked to a RN at work yesterday that still has $15K in student debt because her nursing degree was her 2nd, and parents paid for first degree (chemistry/biology). She is married and I encouraged her to plan like Dave Ramsey/use his budget tools and pay the loans off. They are in various amounts, taken out along the way, like $3K. DINKs but they are not paying attention to spending.
All employees got annual paperwork for benefits, and after talking to a lower income employee about the 401k matching, and how the money is taken out before you get it (and then you don’t miss it) she was going to sign up - she has been there 7 years and didn’t take advantage of it for the last 6. I really talked up the time value of the invested money. The work place always has opportunities to work extra hours too.
Decided to ‘age in place’ with our current home. Getting some interior sprucing up done (using pros for that as H and I don’t want to tackle that). Using oil base stain on some of the sun drenched outside (most of home is brick, but contemporary with stained wood accent areas) - do it ourselves to tide over until needing more done outside, then calling in the pros. H and I don’t entirely agree on some of my plans, but moving forward on the ones now that we agree on.
I may have an opportunity to move into FT managerial work in health care in Nov. Reviewing resumes in Aug, which is good timing with DD1’s wedding in July. The extra income can move forward on the home improvements.
In the mean time, I also earn a $100 bonus for working on Monday. I would have worked the weekend, but DD2 is coming home for the weekend, and leaving Monday morning.
I have heard a lot of people follow and like Dave Ramsey. What kind of ways does he used to encourage Spend Less / Save More? (To me it seems obvious, but perhaps not so to younger people.)
I think he lists many things that are obvious, however often I think that people don’t always recognize the obvious. Sometimes it makes more sense when it’s laid out in a book.
DR talks about reducing your debt snowball and pushes people to pay off their smallest loan first to get a the internal satisfaction of getting rid of a bill & use those good feelings to build good habits. (I’ve not listened to him, but have heard him quoted on Bogleheads, feel free to correct me if that is not quite right)
I do think many of the younger generation will spend very small amounts of money on stuff that adds up (using a debit card). Can listen to some of DR on youtube. They have free podcasts. The primary book is an easy read. A lot is common sense (that is not so common). He uses good principles, but I do not follow him 100%. His high school semester course is now required at our private HS - and DD2 took it and I am glad she did.
A big area students/parents are getting more aware of is how much student debt can be a heavy burden. People that went to high cost private school and now don’t have a high enough paying job to pay down the loans.
It sounds like Dave Ramsey has helped a lot of people. It sounds like it is a bit like methods for other goals (weight loss etc) - good to have specific recommendations on how to get there.
I definitely agree that student debt can be a big gotchya. Obviously avoiding it is best. But there is a huge need for help dealing with it the post-graduation realities.
I’m not a huge fan of DR as a person, but I do agree with much of his financial advice. Unfortunately, you can’t force people to read/listen if they aren’t interested in changing. We have a relative who spends a small fortune on specialty coffee drinks, mani-pedis, makeup, monthly trinket boxes, etc. A year’s worth of those expenditures could pay for a nice vacation or those new tires that are needed before winter.
My daughter and her fiance had to attend DR’s program prior to their wedding (was highly encouraged to by the person performing the ceremony). They didn’t agree with some of his advice and quit attending after a few sessions. One point that they violently disagree with is that DR says that all debt should be paid off prior to retirement savings; that they should not invest in 401Ks when there are student loans. Our daughter has no debt and has been heavily investing in her 401K for the past 9 years (Roth contributions) and has a nice employer match. Her fiance still has some student loans but has also been investing fully in his 401Ks and getting a nice employer match. They don’t agree with DR that fiance should stop putting into the 401Ks until his student loans are paid off.
You mean vehemently, right? Lol, that conjured up a funny image.
Yeah that was cracking me up, too. 
Autocorrect must be borking (I mean working) really hard this morning. 
(Yup, left the autocorrected “working” for you all to laugh at.)
What’s wrong with “violently disagree”?
I’ve used this expression before, it is not uncommon AFAIK.
Our retirement savings crossed a major number at the end of last week. DW still won’t let me retire. 
I got the picture of two young people yelling that they disagreed with Dave Ramsey, while taking turns punching out the minister. “No, he’s wrong!” Smack! “I’m gonna invest in my 401K first!” Bam! >:)
I guess you all in the NE say things a little differently than those of us out in pioneer territory… 
Stop all that borking, Bunsen, it’s not healthy for you 
I’m almost afraid to check the urban dictionary to see what “borking” is…