Oh no, me too! It sounds pretty dirty…
My goodness, glad I provided some entertainment for all of you. I did intentionally say violently disagree, it’s an expression I use occasionally. But my daughter is a very non-violent person so I’m sure it was more of a vehement disagreement. 
Time value of $$ > than student loan interest rates…start those 401ks ASAP! Young adults should contribute enough to get the max match, if at all possible.
I’d always recommend getting the max employer match, retirement investments and then paying the loan. Obviously DR has coached quite a few and made a ton of $$$$ doing so. Why would he change his advice? Set advice works for some/many but not all. Discipline, making a sensible plan and sticking to it are key. Living below your means so you have more funds to work with is always helpful as well.
Yeah I think a lot of times DR is preaching to the lowest common denominator, not looking at individual situations. Good general advice for getting out of debt, but some of it is kind of dumb.
The Washington Post is starting a new newsletter on the intersection of Wall Street and Washington, the impact of the current administration on investing and finance. Starts Tuesday. You can sign up here:
I wrote my letter and sent it to HR Friday. My immediate supervisor has known this would happen for the last three months and has been very supportive. He already has many applicants for my position. In two weeks I will be retired. My retirement income will be adequate, though I will have less than I have now. It doesn’t really matter - I want to have some good years with H before we get too old. I want to spend quality time with my sweet grandson. I want/need to spend more time caring for my mom. I want to have time to read, walk, and go out to lunch with friends.
We will stay in our home for now. We love our neighborhood and most of our neighbors. D, SIL, and GS are very close, and S is close for now. My mom and my siblings are all less than four hours away by car.
Life is good.
Our kids did not have any debt from undergrad, as we were happy to pay for that for them. They both went to private schools, so it cost a lot, but they were not in college at the same time, so my entire take home pay went to the college and we lived on H’s salary those eight years. D is currently paying 5,000 per month to pay back her medical school loans. I believe they will be completely paid off in three more years. SIL had no debt, so that was nice. Our S has no debt but is considering law school in a year or two. I’m not sure that is a great plan, but he knows it will be his responsibility to pay for it. He is saving now.
@hrh19 - Congrats on your impending retirement!
Congrats @hrh19. Sounds like the big things are re taken care of, and you can retire knowing you gave your kids a great start in life.
Congrats hrh!
Coming back to report on our auction of stuff (mentioned in post #10586) and practice run of small-scale living in an apartment.
Overall, it was about what I had expected. Some items went for more than I had hoped, some for far less. In hindsight, I probably should have attempted to sell more individual furniture pieces myself. We certainly got FAR more than we would have from a garage sale, with the big benefit of an auction being that everything goes. It was easy since they packed it all and hauled it away. Our sale was about four weeks after we closed on our house. Flat percentage (23%) plus some advertising costs. I must say, I am not missing any of our stuff at all. I think I would go this route again. Ds will thank us in the future! We do have a 5x10 storage unit, but it is not even one third full. Probably 25% of what’s in it belongs to ds.
For the most part, we are loving living in an 918 sq ft apartment. The things we don’t love (having to walk our dog, the fact that there isn’t much natural light and the walls are too dark of a color) are not related to the size at all. It’s so funny - our house was around 3,450 sq ft, which had been a downsize from 4,300 sq ft a few years earlier. My in-laws have around 2,300 sq ft, and their house used to seem tight to me. On a recent visit, it seemed enormous! How quickly we adapt!
All that to say, that I think whenever dh retires, we will definitely be able to handle the 935 sq ft condo. At least for quite awhile. If we later find we need more space, we can make a change. As someone said on the downsizing thread, making a change down the road will be much easier since we are so much “lighter” on stuff now.
ETA: we do miss our outdoor patio space for cocktails, but whenever we retire, we can just go to the beach!
@hrh19 - So happy for you! Best of luck in retirement. (" Our S has no debt but is considering law school in a year or two. I’m not sure that is a great plan" - Yea, encourage him to do his research. Law seems to not be the lucrative field it once was, especially if you don’t to to one of the top 14 schools. )
Law seems to be a degree like MBA that is used in adjunct to another degree or field.
Enjoying the retirement so far, it has been over one year. Classic traveling and volunteer work and now planning on making a craft room out of D1’s bedroom.
So far no surprises with the financial planning. I think the health insurance would have been if I did not plan for that by staying enough years at work to get the health benefits continued.
Anyone else here in their 60s with a kid still in high school?
H was in his 60s when our kids graduated from HS over a decade ago.
I turned 62 with two kids in high school, which led me to file early for social security in order to “harvest” their benefits.
@IxnayBob do the benefits go until children are 18? I need to find out more about it. My husband is planning on working until he can draw full SS benefits at 67 mainly to be able to afford daughter’s college 
@janiemiranda, from what I recall, it’s until the earliest of:
They turn 19
They graduate high school (I don’t know what happens if they leave without graduating)
They marry
ETA: it gets complicated. In addition to your husband’s benefit, your D would get a benefit that is governed by the maximum family benefit. I recommend reading a book (either Social Security Made Simple by Mike Piper, or Get What’s Yours by Kotlikoff). Easier still, but more costly, is to pay $40 to www.maximizemysocialsecurity.com, run by kotlikoff.
Thank you very much, @IxnayBob. I will definitely look into those books!