How much does a legacy help?

<p>Well, I found a program I'm really interested in but at this particular school it seems I'm not a very strong applicant. I really want to go there but my stats are 3.4gpa and 1170gre, while their averages come in at 3.7 & 1350 (or 650gmat). Needless to say my chances probably aren't too good. </p>

<p>Fortunately, I think if I study I can bring up my quantitative score by 100pts or so, but even if I get 150pts higher (that would be an 800), I'll still come up 20pts short. I really don't think I can get a better verbal score either, I studied 3 months and brought it up about as much as I could.... So basically even if I do well on the GRE retake I'll still come up short and I can't improve my GPA.</p>

<p>One redeeming factor may be that my father went to the same school (well, he went there for undergrad and med school at least.) I know that should prove advantageous but I was wondering how much of a difference it will really make. I'm also open to suggestions; I've got a backup but I'm pretty much set on going to this school and I'll be disappointed if I can't get in.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>You will likely need to take the GMAT, and not the GRE, as an admissions requirement for business school.</p>

<p>Thanks, but the GRE actually is accepted at the school I'm applying to. Here is a list of business schools at accept the GRE: </p>

<p>MBA</a> Programs that Accept the GRE® General Test</p>

<p>Ask yourself this - what would you think of someone hired for a job because he was an exec's son? Now apply that to school. Legacies are fast becoming a thing of the past.</p>

<p>Have you taken any of the courses available to improve your scores? Back when I applied for graduate school I knew I needed to nail the GMAT, so I studied my rear off using the Kaplan books and took a 730. The same applies to the GRE, it's not magic it's sweat and effort for the most part.</p>

<p>Earn the school you want and you'll be happy and motivated to excel.</p>

<p>Yeah, I agree, it isn't right...</p>

<p>I never took a course but I studied diligently on my own for 3 months last year. I mainly focused on the verbal portion because my diagnostic was just terrible then I was a little surprised I did as well as I did on the real thing. I know I can do better on the quantitative portion if I study for a month or 2; I don't think I can get a better verbal score without spending an enormous amount of time studying roots, prefixes, etc. That's really where the problem is; I don't think i can reasonably get a better verbal score and a great Q score still won't be enough... I'm going to take a practice GMAT this weekend just to see what happens but I'm not too hopeful I'll break 600.</p>

<p>Congrats on having just graduated. I see you're in TX, did you go to Rice?</p>

<p>Actually no, I went to the University of Houston at Victoria. That's a point to consider as well, in my case I have a quarter-century of experience to go with a Bachelor's from Baylor. I got my MBA on the way to sitting for my CPA, and when I looked at everything the additional value of getting an MBA from Rice or Texas was not worth the additional cost (paid for it on my own). There's zero chance I will be Chief Operating Officer of a Fortune 500 company even if I went to HBS, and my resume is strong enough that the school is less important than the degree, so long as its AACSB-accredited. Your experience is a factor in the value of the school you choose.</p>