How much does it hurt to apply for FA?

<p>I'm an international student living in the US (for almost 9 years now). I'm a Canadian citizen, but since I was born in China the process of getting permanent residency is going to take a long time, and I probably won't have my green card until after I apply to colleges. So this is more for parents/students who've had experience with financial aid/being international and such, but how bad will it be for my application if I need a LOT of aid? I'm aiming for liberal arts colleges, and some top tier universities. Sorry for the vagueness, but I'm just a junior right now so I haven't exactly figured out a definite list yet.</p>

<p>If you need a LOT of aid, you had better apply for it. How else will you pay for your education? </p>

<p>Since you are Canadian, be sure to put some Canadian institutions on your list. They will almost certainly be significantly less expensive for you than peer institutions in the US.</p>

<p>As Happymom said...if you NEED a LOT of aid, what good will it do you to get accepted to a college if you don't apply for and GET that aid. Apply for the aid. </p>

<p>As an international student the following will likely be the case:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Your application for admission will be reviewed with other international student applications...they ALL seem to be very competitive applications.</p></li>
<li><p>Only a very small number of schools are need blind for admissions (meaning they don't look at your finances when considering your application) AND meet full need for all accepted students (meaning they provide financial aid to meet what the school calculates as your need).</p></li>
<li><p>You will need to demonstrate that you HAVE the funds in hand to at least fund fully your first year here...in order to get a visa to study here. This can include approved loans and financial aid. Without that financial clearance, you will not be granted a visa to study here. SO...if you got accepted...and got no financial aid (because you decided not to apply for it)...HOW would you get that visa?</p></li>
<li><p>Keep in mind...many many generous colleges will not allow you to APPLY for their generous institutional aid if you have not APPLIED as an incoming freshman.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>skysailing -</p>

<p>What is your current visa status? H2? or something else. Check up on the rules for your particular visa, and find out if you can attend college in that status or if you will be obliged to change to an F1. If you can remain in your current status while studying, is there a difference in your eligibility for a work permit? It may be to your advantage to get an F1 visa just for that.</p>

<p>I'm definitely going to apply for aid; I was just wondering how it would impact me as an applicant. I guess this falls more under chances that just financial aid. I have an H4 visa, so I'm not obligated to change my visa status in order to study in the US.</p>

<p>Since you aren't a citizen or green card resident, there are only a number of schools that will give a lot of aid to int'ls. These are the hardest schools to get into...even more so for int'ls.</p>

<p>You also would have to qualify for aid...after the school looks at parents' income/assets. The school may say that you don't qualify or you don't qualify for as much as you need.</p>

<p>If you need aid, then also apply to some schools that give large merit to int'ls.</p>

<p>What are your stats? How much will your parents pay?</p>

<p>I'm guessing that since your family is getting green card status that you're not low income.</p>

<p>I'm about to be a junior this year, so my stats aren't completely fleshed out. I haven't taken the SAT yet, but I got a 216 my sophomore year on the PSAT (didn't really study for it though). I'm hoping to break 2300, but we'll see... I've taken all honors and 8 AP classes since freshman year (all A's so far), and I will be in the IB program for my last two years of high school, so junior and senior year will be all AP/IB courses. Not quite sure how good my EC's are, but I'd be happy to elaborate on them. </p>

<p>mom2collegekids: I think my family actually qualifies as low-income, as our income is <60,000 a year. Realistically, I think my family can contribute a few thousand a year. Just out of curiosity, why did you assume I wasn't low income because we applied for a green card? </p>

<p>Thank you guys so much for the responses :)</p>