How much sleep do you need?

I get around 7. Sometimes only 5 or 6. But I wake without an alarm and am ready to go. I understand that more sleep would be better but they never say what to do about that. Short of taking drugs, how am I supposed to sleep longer?

I find I need around eight hours, plus an occasional nap.

When the kids were little, I had a horrendous commute to a wonderful job. I was only getting about 5.5 hours a night and by Thursday I felt like I had been run over by a truck. On the weekends, I got maybe 8 hours a night.

I have finally realized that getting enough sleep is very, very important for me to feel good.

So, how do you get that 7-8 hours of sleep that we seem to need or are told that we need for our health? My mother’s mantra was, “Sleep is overrated.” I would guess that I average 5-6 hours a night, at best. I would LOVE to sleep longer but I can’t seem to make that happen. Occasionally, I function on 3 hours sleep.

You need as much sleep as makes you feel OK next day.
I need only 4 hours. I will be OK with occasional 3 hrs. I will have a headache if I sleep more than 5 hours and actually feel tired for the whole day.
Why others decide how much we need sleep? Let your body decide that! I feel very lucky, I can do so much during my day. The only problem is that I am so afraid to retire (which is soon), because if will not know how to fill 20 hours when I will not be working full time. I do not think that exercising for 5 hours instead of current 2 is a good idea for a very old body.

I will be very sad if I needed 12 hours of sleep. What a life - sleeping away half of it, almost like a dog, they sleep more though I know! But I want to be an active human being, not some creature who spends half of her life in bed!

Ummmm – turn off the television, put down that book, close up the computer, and put your head on the pillow.

Seriously, if you have a specific time you get up or have to get up each day, count back from there, and that’s your target bedtime. My years of having to get up very very early turned me into a morning person (although I had those tendencies before). So my bedtime is usually 10:30 PM, more or less, and I get up at 6:30 AM, more or less. If you don’t currently go to bed at the right time to get the optimal number of hours, sleep experts suggest backing up your bedtime by 10 or so minutes every few days. After a few months of this, you’ll be on schedule and you’ll wonder how you ever stayed up so late!

If I have to stay up beyond 11:30 PM, I can’t stop yawning and I turn into a pumpkin…

As I mentioned, 7-8 hours of sleep would be devastating to me. I am not capable of sleeping that much, but if miracle 6 hours happen, then forget the next day, it is lost from my life, totally ruined by headache and being tired and low energy.
It is not as simple as VeryHappy describes. There is a complicated hormonal cocktail that runs life of each human being. Everybody got it different and mine trained my brain to sleep only 4 hours. No events have anything to do with it. I am not thinking about anything when I am awake nothing bothers me. I can go to bed at 7:30pm and I can go to bed at 1am. I am not yawning and I am not tired and the time that I go to bed has nothing to do with my sleep pattern. I am simply very old and shorter sleep is the same as having cataracts and as all docs are saying normal age-related changes. They do not call these changes a disease, so why they give the label “insomnia” to a 4 hrs sleep. I do not think that it is insomnia, it is simply a short but still refreshing sleep that serves the same purpose as 8 hrs sleep or 12 hrs sleep.

For me, it’s important that my body and mind be READY for sleep, to sleep. And for me on the best nights that means that my body and mind were challenged during the day with exercise, mind-using activities and just a moving/activity rich day.

Since CC, it’s been 5-6. CC is way better after midnight. You should all check it out.

I’m not sure how much I need, but I seem to awaken at 6:30 am no matter what time I get to sleep. I’m retired. When I was working it was s real struggle to get up at that time.

@miamidap: If four hours is enough sleep for you, congratulations. Of course you don’t have insomnia; you just need less sleep than most people. For others who need more, they have to retrain themselves to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I’d love to lay down at night, fall asleep and sleep through the night. My fitbit tells me I’m pretty restless. I will fall asleep and wake up an hour later for an hour or two and go back to sleep. Sometimes that will last until 4am and I’ll sleep for 4 hours without moving.

For the fit bit people…how many times are you restless at night? I am usually restless 25 times a night.

I need 8, but lately have been back and forth. A few night 6, then an exhausted 9.

My last 5 Fitbit readings in terms of times restless: 13, 11, 4, 9, 10. That’s on about 7.5 hours of sleep.

Around 7.
I usually sleep around 4 AM my time and wake around 11. I’m dreading the day when I have to be a real person and can’t keep those hours :slight_smile:

^^Wow, that’s an interesting schedule! Can’t you wake up earlier so you can have coffee with the rest of us at 8am? :wink:

This type of schedule is the one that my body has always defaulted to. I haven’t the slightest idea why… 11PM-4AM seems to be my most productive time of the dead (my students wonder why they get 3 AM emails from me…)

I don’t have class before 1 which is not conducive to me being an 8 AM person! (Plus I don’t drink coffee :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hmm… haven’t the slightest clue what type of Freudian slip was going on there, but I meant day :slight_smile: (or night/morning as the case may be…)

With You! Mostly.
I think that I should be on a “sleep every 36 hours for 8” schedule or something like that.

I love to be in bed alone thinking my thoughts. I never fall asleep unless a nap at an odd time unless with medication.

The last two nights were unusual as I needed to stay awake until 7 a.m. and then slept for 5.5 hours, napped 2 hours later and up until 6:30 the next a.m., slept 5 hrs and napped 45 minutes later and now cannot fall asleep.
I just do not sleep and feel pretty fine–
went to work for 3 hours, made a big dinner for 4 and helped with a the baby that I stayed up for the last two nights and did dishes–
just needing a brief 45 min nap

No, I do not like this, I want to got to sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 like everyone else.

My typical hours are sleep at 3(with meds) awake by 10.
Schedule clients no earlier than 12 ever.

I have had sleep tests and so on and on and have “sleep hygiene” but the bottom line is that I have been this way since I was 4 years old.
I have finally accepted it and am grateful that I am old enough to set a schedule (and H :-* ) that can accept.

Friends laugh at the hour that I send emails!

That said! my own doc sends me emails at 2 am and never questions my weird sleeping!
Takes one to know one!

Chronic sleep deprivation has been shown to contribute to all sorts of health issues. One’s body may acclimate to a few hours of sleep, but it isn’t good for you. Get some sleep!

I’m good with 6 hours a night as long as it is uninterrupted. I never feel sleepy or drowsy so I go to bed because I have to not because I want to. Then it’s a struggle to fall asleep.