How much sleep do you need?

I see many posts appearing after midnight. I usually read or surf internet very late at night until I fall asleep, because this is the only free time I have, and the only time I don’t feel guilty to waste. But I still need to get up early, go to work and get through the day, and it gets more and more difficult. How much sleep do we really need? How much do you get?

If I just sleep without an alarm 9 hrs. Usually get 7. Posters are not in the same time zone.

I can get by with 6. Although I prefer 7. :slight_smile: Pacific Time Zone here.

I rarely get more than 6.

6-7 for me. Usually closer to 6.

ETA: Pacific Time Zone here.

Yeah, don’t forget we don’t all live in EST!

I usually sleep 8 hours, but love 9. I live in Asia. Usually post during my day or evening which is way early morning in most of the US.

I’m self employed and work from home. I find it easier to get work done at night when there are fewer disturbances and interruptions, and I’m a night owl by nature. So bottom line – I can stay up late because I rarely have any need to get up early. My work also involves a lot of international email correspondence – my overseas contacts are always delighted that they can get a quick response to emails from me because i’m checking email at 2:00am.

<<<<
I see many posts appearing after midnight. I

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

???

You’re seeing posts appearing after YOUR midnight. There are people who post here from all parts of the US and even other countries. Your midnight may be morning or early evening to someone else.

My Fitbit Charge tells me that I seem to like 7-7.5 hours of sleep. :slight_smile:

I get 7 to 7.5, but my body prefers 8 and will wake up naturally without alarm at 8.

I drink one cup of coffee a day if I get 7 hrs, if it gets around 6 hrs I drink an extra one to just keep going.

Sorry - I did not make it clear. Of courseI I understand that different posters are in different time zones. Yet, many of them post after midnight on their local time. CC never sleeps.
At least, I am not the only night dweller - feeling better already :slight_smile: I usually get 5-6 hours of sleep on average, and it seems to work for me, but many recent articles state that we need more sleep time.

I like close to 8, but don’t seem to be sleeping that long lately. I’m even waking up really early on the weekends. Guess I’m getting old.

It’s been interesting to see how more and more studies are coming out that show how people risk their health by getting too little sleep - sleep deprivation can cause all kinds of serious health problems. Now what is too little? That’s different for everyone. I can guarantee if I have more than 3/5 nights where I’m sleep-deprived, I will get a cold sore or canker sores inside my mouth. Sleep-deprived for me is anything less than 6-7 hours/night. I function much better on 8-9. If I’m really sleep-deprived, then I will get sick - my immune system needs its sleep.

A year and a half ago, when I had my hysterectomy and was forced into surgical menopause, my sleep was atrocious - I was having so many hot flashes and much interrupted sleep. At four weeks post-op, I got a cold; at 7.5 weeks post-op, I developed an abscess and became septic. My docs really didn’t know what to say to me about the sepsis, because it typically happens around 1-2 weeks post-op. I told them about the cold I was recovering from, and then this, and wondered if a compromised immune system (due to sleep-deprivation) could have played a part, and they said while they couldn’t prove it, it certainly could have abetted the situation. I got sick once again in the fall with a nasty bronchitis, then by last December we finally found a hormone dosage that basically eliminated my hot flashes, and I haven’t been sick in over a year now. Thankfully I am in a position where I rarely have to be up in the morning, so I always try to allow my body to wake to its own circadian rhythm, and that’s typically after 8-9 hours of sleep. In the worst of my menopause, I was doing good if I got 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I knew this was not healthy.

I can get by on 6 or so without needing a catch-up day. I prefer about 8, but my body needs “practice” to sleep that long. I do not use an alarm clock unless I have an especially early meeting; even then, it’s main purpose is to keep me from worrying before I fall asleep. I will wake up in time.

I’d pay money to be able to sleep like I could when I was little: 12 hours at a crack with no medicine hangover. Priceless!

I get by with 7 hours (and if possible, a 20 minute nap during the day). But if I really let my body dictate the time (i.e. no alarm clock or need to wake up), I need more like 8 or 9…sometimes even 10.

I sleep about 7 hours – according to my FitBit Charge HR. If I sleep less, I seem to need to make up for it the next day.

I try for 7- 7.5, but I wake up in the very early hours sometimes. And my aging dog wakes me up early to go out.

I don’t work so rarely have to set alarm and I usually wake up somewhere between 7-8 hours.